Chapter 40: A toast

Most of the deserts were mediocre at best. Of course Mari's cookies and homemade pumpkin pie were a hit, but what surprised all of them was how good Sunny and Kel's cake turned out. Not only was it decorated nicely, but it didn't taste too bad. It was a vanilla and lemon merengue cake with white chocolate frosting. Despite it being slightly undercooked, it still wasn't terrible.

"Are you sure you didn't ask Hero to make this?" Aubrey rose a brow as she looked at Sunny and Kel.

"He helped us a little but we made it ourselves!" Kel said proudly, Sunny nodding in agreement with a small smile.

"Well..." Mari smiled softly, lifting her glass of water. "I propose a toast." Everyone sitting at the dining room table looked at Mari, listening intently to what she had to say.

"I'm thankful for everyone being here to spend the last few days with me. It's going to be difficult to leave you all again, but it has been worth while." Mari's smile became sadder, her eyes becoming slightly dull. "I'm... I'm really going to miss you all I.. I... I-" Mari lowered her glass and stared at her reflection in the clear water. "I can't do this. I can't leave. I dont want to leave... I."

The lights began to flicker, the others becoming nervous as they looked at Mari, tears falling down her cheeks. Sunny wanted to open his mouth to speak, but nothing would escape his lips. The others stayed silent, even Hero. Nobody knew what to do.

"I'm not leaving. I'm never leaving. I-" Mari glared, her eyes glowing softly. "I'M NOT LEAVING." She shouted, gripping the glass cup in her hand to the point it shattered in her grasp, the shards piercing her skin.

"Mari calm down it's okay-" Hero started, flinching as Mari stood up, flexing her hand and watching the blood ooze from the gashes and cuts grazing it.

"I am never going to leave. I will never leave again. I will stay here. I want to be a sister. I want to be a partner. I WANT TO BE ME."

The lights above flickered, the lightbulb exploding and making a loud popping noise, small sparks emitting from its casing. The lights went out, and all that was visible were Mari's eyes. Her cold, angry eyes, with sadness pictured on her lips.

"Mari please calm down, maybe we can talk to Francine-" Aubrey whispered, being interrupted.

"FRANCINE??! THAT WENCH? SHE'S THE REASON IM THIS WAY IN THE FIRST PLACE! OF ALL PEOPLE, SHE SHOULD BE THE ONE TO GO."

Suddenly a bang was heard, Mari making a small wince. She fell to the floor, And the lights in the other room turned back on. The others saw Hero holding a pan, his hands shaking as he immediately regretted what he had done.

He really regretted what he had done.

Notes:
Sorry this is so incredibly short, to make up for it the next will be longer. Im also working on the other story i mentioned on the sidelines, and it doesn't have shipping, but it has an idea in my head ive been fond of for a while now! I hope you guys like it once I publish what I have so far