The Birthday

Četrtek 16:22 (Thursday 4:22 pm)

Wanda came to the conclusion that she was, undeniably, the worst person in the world.

And while she tried not to be the worst person in the world, she attempted, at your request, to put her shit together.

You refused to stay any longer than necessary - that being, solely during history class - in her presence, and ignored all her attempts to start a casual conversation, and Wanda thinks you were right because you were expecting an apology that she had no idea how to provide. Of how to really mean it.

So she decided she wasn't going to deal with you. Or with Natasha asking why she was distant and cranky, or Pietro trying to appease things between her and her father.

The only company Wanda was putting up with was her mother, and right now, as Natalya stroked her hair, Wanda took her attention off the sitcom on the television and ran her eyes down the screen of the laptop resting on her mother's knee near her head.

"Mama?" She called out, receiving a soft hum from the other. "Do you like your job?"

Natalya gave a soft chuckle. "Why the question?"

Wanda sighed. "Just curious."

Her mother smiled, changing the rhythm of the touching on the back of Wanda's head.

"Well, I like to write." She begins gently. "I've always liked it, ever since I was little. I like grammar, I like reading. But deadlines? Rules that shape my creativity? No, I don't like these." Wanda gets thoughtful, and Natalya takes the caress to her daughter's cheek. "I would be lying if I said I love the act of working. Waking up early, fulfilling an expedient, and answering to a boss. That is not comfortable. I wish I had been born with a great inheritance that allowed me to write just for the pleasure of writing, and the vast majority of people do too. But that's not how the world operates, sweetheart."

Wanda sighs, adjusting herself to sit beside her mother.

"What if...I wanted a job?"

Natalya is surprised but offers her a gentle smile.

"And why is that?" She asks, and when Wanda looks down at her own lap, she reaches for her hand. "You just piqued my curiosity, dear. I have my financial limitations, but with your father's pension, we have enough so that you and Pietro can focus on your studies. I wouldn't want to think that you feel pressured-"

"It's not that." Wanda assures with a nervous laugh, shaking her head. She takes a deep breath, searching for the right words. "I love papa, I really do. But every day, we grow distant from each other's values. I don't want to live what he has planned for me. I don't want to owe or depend on his goodwill, or approval."

Natalya looks at her affectionately, bringing a hand to her face.

"Every day, you make me more proud, sladko dekle (sweet girl)." She says, and Wanda smiles shyly, leaning into her touch. She doesn't really believe it, it's not how she's been feeling, especially the last few days, but it's nice to hear.

Wanda settles into her mother's lap again, she whispers:

"Ljubim te, mama. (I love you, mama)"

Ponedeljek 18.12 (Monday 6:12 pm)

A touch on her back made Wanda jump slightly. She was distracted by the books in front of her but smiled at her mother, who was signaling for her to take off her headphones. Once Evanescence gave way to the sounds around her, Natalya spoke up:

"There's a boy downstairs." She announced gently. Wanda frowned. "Your friend, the one who skateboards."

Wanda sighed, "Oh, it's Clint." She spoke taking out her headset to put on the table. "Thanks, mama. Can you tell him I'll be right down?"