Epilogue: My Heart Is Broken

"My Heart Is Broken"
Evanescence

I will wander 'til the end of time
Torn away from you
I pulled away to face the pain
I close my eyes and drift away
Over the fear that I will never find
A way to heal my soul
And I will wander 'til the end of time
Torn away from you
My heart is broken
Sweet sleep my dark angel
Deliver us from sorrow's hold

___________________________________________________

Excerpts from the Surveillance Report of Agent Edgar Roberts

November 26, 2022, 11:03 am; Duskwood Cemetery

I surveilled the funeral of Jacob Donfort, alias Shadow. The subject's father, stepmother, and two half-sisters were in attendance as well as former operative Itxaro. Other attendees of note include Richard Roger, Jessica Hawkins, Daniel Anderson, Cleo Baumgartner, and Thomas Miller. 

Of note, Duskwood Chief of Police Alan Bloomgate was also present. 

An appropriate amount of bereavement was demonstrated by those attending. The subject's girlfriend, Itxaro, alias Hope Jones, appeared to be particularly devastated. Her friends Hawkins and Roger had to prop her up as she cried. Sister Hannah was also especially teary.

November 26, 2022, 2:24 pm; Aurora Bar

Followed Itxaro by car from the cemetery to Aurora Bar. The establishment is owned by Phillip Hawkins, the older brother of Jessica Hawkins. Itxaro rode in a car with Jessica while the others carpooled in various vehicles.

Phillip initially greeted Itxaro with sympathy, but when he attempted to embrace her, Itxaro deflected and appeared distressed. Roger shoved him away angrily, and Jessica Hawkins shouted at Phillip while Roger brought Itxaro to his car. 

I then followed Roger and Itxaro to Itxaro's residence. Roger remained in the house for several hours until Jessica Hawkins arrived, carrying an overnight bag. Roger departed shortly after while Jessica stayed and all lights inside the home were extinguished.

 November 27, 2022, 1:44 am; Duskwood Cemetery

Surveyed Donfort's gravesite using Ground Penetrating Radar. Confirmation of a body in the casket. 

December 3, 2022, 9:18 am; Duskwood Animal Shelter

Itxaro returned to work today. This is also the first day that she has left her residence since the funeral.

December 3, 2022, 6:43 pm; Duskwood Green Grocers

Itxaro left work and stopped for provisions. No unusual purchases.

January 15, 2023, 12:23 pm; Donfort Residence, Colville

Itxaro arrives by car from Duskwood, accompanied by Lillian Donfort. No stops between her residence to Colville other than to pick up the younger Donfort sister.

January 17, 2023, 3:19 pm; Donfort Residence, Colville

Observed a truck from a local thrift store depart after collecting several boxes and large pieces of furniture. Other boxes were loaded in Itxaro's vehicle. Shortly after, an unidentified woman arrived and entered the residence. License plates are registered to one Angela Hawkins, realtor, and half-sibling to Jessica Hawkins. Her appearance matches the photo on her driver's license.

January 17, 2023, 4:45 pm; Donfort Residence, Colville

Angela Hawkins places a "for sale" sign in the front yard of the residence and places a lockbox on the front door, then departs. Itxaro and Lillian leave as well.

January 17, 2023, 9:56 pm; Itxaro's Residence, Duskwood

Itxaro arrives at her residence after leaving Lillian at her home. They stopped briefly for dinner and fuel on the way back from Colville. 

March 6, 2023, 2:01 pm; Grove Springs Title Company, Grove Springs

The former Donfort residence in Colville went into escrow and Itxaro arrived at the title company to sign closing papers. Research into documents shows she has directed proceeds from the sale to the bank accounts of Hannah and Lillian Donfort.

March 8, 2023, 11:49 am; Rainbow Cafe, Duskwood

Itxaro meets Jessica Hawkins and Richy Roger for lunch. This is her first social outing since the funeral. She sits quietly and does not actively participate in the conversation. Halfway through lunch, she bursts into tears and leaves. Her friends remain, looking upset.

June 26, 2023, 1:15 am; Itxaro's Residence, Duskwood

Itxaro has done little else besides go to work and run errands. Her friends come to her residence to visit occasionally. She rarely socializes in public and when she does, she is reticent and does not participate for long.

She does not appear to have any romantic interests. In the public eye, she avoids physical contact with others, similar to what was noted in her evaluation files during training. She briefly allows Jessica Hawkins or Richard Rogers to touch her but it appears platonic in both cases.

Itxaro has left town only as noted previously in the report, to handle the estate of her allegedly deceased boyfriend.

Conclusion: Jacob Donfort, presumed dead, has not resurfaced, and Itxaro is still in mourning. In her current state, Itxaro poses little to no threat to the organization.

Recommendation: Terminate surveillance, effective immediately, and reallocate resources elsewhere.

***End of report***

___________________________________________________

A/N: I know, I know, you all hate me for this ending. 😔 it was tough to write it! But just remember:

Everything is going to be fine in the end.

If it's not fine

Then it's not the end. 

;)

(Yes, that means a sequel is in the queue. Thank you all for reading, voting, and commenting. I'll see you at the next one!)

As of Feb 8, 2023, I'm uploading chapters for the sequel! It's called Key to His Heart and you can start reading it here: 

https://www.wattpad.com/story/333854210-key-to-his-heart-sequel

You can add it to your library or follow me, and you'll receive updates when I post new chapters.