02 » research

the next day, jonathan was up much earlier than he'd wanted to be. he wasn't surprised that he hadn't slept much, as he usually didn't. but, tonight was much worse than usual. it took him forever to fall asleep because he couldn't stop thinking about the bite. when he finally fell asleep, he had nightmares about it. at around five am, he decided there was no point in trying to get back to sleep. he drug himself out of bed. he figured that atleast this way he could hit the library to do some research on spiders and their bites. then maybe he could get his mind off of it. he hoped so, because it was driving him to insane.

he made some eggs for his mom and brother as usual, but he just left them on the stove. he wanted as much time at the library as he could get. he left a note on the table saying that he left early for school because of some club he was in. he was hoping his mom wouldn't know it was a lie, but then again she knew how he felt about clubs and all that shit. he didnt care at the moment, though. he found himself getting into his car before he could even second guess himself. as he started the car, he realized he didn't know when the library opened.

he decided it was too late — even though it definitely wasn't, he could've easily gotten out and went inside. instead he found himself pulling out onto the road, though. he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel impatiently.

by the time he was finally on his way, it was about six am. that didn't give him much time before he had to get to school, but it atleast hopefully gave him enough to find out what he needed to know. he pulled into the library and he could feel his anxiety building up more. luckily for him, the library was open. that got atleast one of his worries off the table. he went inside, glancing at the clock for a quick time check. six-thirty. he had a good thirty minutes to look for what he needed.

jonathan moved swiftly through the isles, looking at the books. he stopped when he noticed a book titled, 'everything spiders' he plucked it off the shelf and hurried over to a table. he sat down and opened the book. it was a decently sized book, he wasn't exactly sure what he should even be looking for. he thought back to the spider, trying to pull together what it looked like. he shivered when thinking back to it. he officially hated spiders. it was much too big for his liking. but luckily, it stuck in his mind pretty well. it was white and blue. nothing like he'd ever seen before.

he flipped through the book until he got to the chapter that said, 'poisonous spiders' he looked through it, and he was relieved when he didn't see the spider that had bit him. but, he was still curious about it. he wanted to know what treatment he could use on it. although, as he flipped through the book, his confusion grew. his eyebrows furrowed. the spider in question wasnt in the book. he flipped back through the pages, double checking. it still wasn't there. it wasn't in the book. he shook his head. it was an old book, maybe the author didn't know about the spider.

he sighed and got up to put the book back. he turned to check the clock before he started looking for another. to his dismay, he didn't have enough time. he figured he could check the school library during his lunch break, or something. he shoved his hands into his pockets and made his way out of the library. his mind wandered while he walked. he found it weird that the spider wasn't in the book. but then again, maybe he was overthinking it. but maybe he wasn't? maybe he genuinely discovered a ne—

he felt a tingle on his neck, his eyebrows furrowed. that was weird. he found himself stepping to the side. he wasn't sure why but he knew he didn't want to stay where he was. as he stepped to the side, a rock went flying past him. his eyes widened and a couple of apologies coming from some people who clearly hadn't intended for it to come his way. he didn't hear them, though. he wasn't focused on that. he was focused on the fact that he knew when a rock was going to come flying his way. he stood there in shock for a moment, staring at where the rock landed. "what the hell?" he murmured softly.

he shook his head, continuing his walk to the car. when he got in, he just sat there. he didn't start it, he didn't buckle up, he just sat. he stared at the steering wheel. maybe he was just having some good luck? he slowly started to nod. good luck. that was a logical explanation. that made sense. he let out a shaky breath — he didn't know why he was so worked up about this. he swallowed thickly. this was fine. he just had some good luck, which he should be grateful for. he needed to stop worrying about it and focus on getting to school.

he was probably just overthinking it, anyways. right?
—–––—–—–––—–—–––—–—–––—–—–––
word count: 925
this brought my motivation back whdjsbfhdhd i'm actually excited to write again