1 - Running

The cold winter air caused a vapor that trailed behind her as she ran, hyperventilating, desperately gripping at the air in front of her. The icy wind gnawed at the tips of her fingers. She found that, once again, she was out of place: a burden more than anything.

"GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE, NICO ROBIN!!! YOU THINK WE'RE MISSING OUT ON 80 MILLION??" one of her pursuers yelled, throwing his sword at her, and leaving a harmless but painful laceration across her shoulder.

It slowly began to bleed, and every step was becoming more taxing than the last. Her lungs began to burn; her mouth was getting dry. She fell to the ground, with tears slowly flooding her cerulean orbs, only making it impossible to open them and see. They drew closer, almost surrounding the woman.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Robin cried, throwing sand at them and getting back onto her feet, running until she eventually collapsed in an alley. What's the point? Why fight? Was I born for this? Is this what fate intended: A life of suffering, looking for something I can't possibly find on my own? I can never find the true history on my own, but there's no one I can rely on to help me. I'll only hurt myself more if I keep trying.

Hearing the footsteps approach, seeing the stampede's shadow loom closer, she gave one last look of defiance toward the alleyway entrance and used the last of her energy to lift herself, with her devil fruit, onto the roof of a building. The sharp stabbing in her chest from the cold was far from subsiding but somehow she grew satisfied, knowing none of them could reach her for the moment. Wiping her face, and opening her eyes, her gaze met the silhouette of a tall muscular man, holding a sword in either hand...