4 - Shopping

Zoro woke up to Robin sitting at his feet, sketching in a handheld notebook. She used this notebook to draw artifacts she found, and document their history. More significantly, her notebook possessed deciphered poneglyph readings. She was 8 years old when she started writing in it, a birthday gift from the Scholars of Ohara. Hundreds were betrayed, innocents were killed, and she suffered countless sleepless nights. She surrendered herself to anyone who provided her with a roof. All of this suffering culminated in the contents of her notepad, whose pages were running short.

"What's that?" Zoro asked.

"The source of my suffering." she sighed "The reason the world hates me."

"Then why keep it?"

"It's special to me. It contains the most important information I've found over my lifetime."

"I understand. What's in it?"

"I'd rather not tell you."

"Oh comeonnnnn. You've already told me this much, which is more than anyone else I'm sure. I'm curious."

"I only said this much because I know you won't hurt me for it. You're simply honoring an agreement and will forget about me the moment I leave." She sighed. "The contents are still personal, however."

"Fine. Have it your way."

"Thank you."

"Fair is fair, I'll tell you about my most prized possession if you're open to listening"

"What could a man like you hold close? Tell me."

Her statement was slightly offensive, but he went on to tell her the story of how he inherited Wado Ichimonji, and why he wanted to be the greatest swordsman.

"Amazing how admirable you can make the sword sound, despite it being used to kill people."

"Like you haven't done the same. Besides, swords are used for killing. Different from your notebook in that regard."

"I suppose you're right."

"Anyway, what're you doodling in it for? Every page is important, right? And you're running out of pages."

"I'll rip it out. Eventually, I'll continue my research in another small notebook. I just got bored."

She was prudent not to touch anything after she woke up, lest he get frustrated. She had nothing to read. Staring at the wall isn't exactly engaging.

"Sorry about that. I happen to have collected some bounties last night. We can make a deal."

"Another one? What is it?"

"Forget last night entirely, and we can go shopping." He said with a pink face.

She smiled, holding one finger up to her chin as if deep in thought. "I think I can do that."

...
The air was frigid. It was hard to walk and hard to think. Robin didn't have any pants, only thigh-high shorts. Her figure was well disguised by her sweater, however, due to it being several sizes too big. The cold started to nip at her fingers and legs. What's worse, her sweater wouldn't protect her for long. Robin wasn't one to complain, but she didn't know how much longer she could handle it. Regardless, the woman tried her best not to let it show.

The sky was lifeless. People were few and far between. Dirt streets and pale buildings did little to add any spark. Trees were bare, and any stragglers were wearing monochrome clothing. The distinct lack of vibrance caused an ambient gloom. Ironically, they found comfort under this gray cloud.

"We're buying clothes before anything else. It's cold as hell out here"

"That would be nice. I think I'm starting to get frostbite again."

Stepping first onto the terrace, they entered the store. Bright lights, decorative plants, multicolored carpet, and a warm temperature. Somehow the conditions were better, but people were sour. Robin noticed a group of young women, probably in their late teens or early twenties, who grimaced at her as she walked in, just as she let go of Zoro's hand.

"Looks like the world really does hate you, Robin." He said, walking to a nearby rack.

He used her real name. It was a first. She noticed but said nothing of it.

"I don't think they hate me for the reason you think. They were envious, possibly because I was holding your hand."

"What the hell does that mean? I need you or else I'll get lost somewhere." He grabbed an orange coat, thick, and well-insulated.

"I'm sure they're willing to listen if you want to explain."

"No. Girls like that annoy me.."

"Oh?"

"They're distractions. They bother me all the time, try to feel me up, and follow me around. I can't be the best if I entertain every girl who hits on me."

"Everyone has their urges though, right? How do you satiate your desires?"

"That's a bit of a personal question. If I'm being honest, I rarely do. Overcoming your urges is part of becoming stronger." He said. Looking down at himself in the jacket, he smirked. "This'll work."

"That's got to create a lot of stress and tension, right? Enough for alcohol to be the only remedy."

"Are you gonna do something about it?"

"I can help you release that stress," she smirked. "Is that okay with you?"

That mischievous side eye she gave him was real, no masking. And somehow, her joke had a mature charm. He smirked.

"I'll consider it." He reached into his pocket and grabbed a wad of cash.

"What's this?"

"It's your cut."

"Why?"

"Leading money in my direction, cooking, getting me where I need to be, etc. Buy whatever you need with this."

"Alright. Thank you. You don't mind if I go off on my own right?"

"Go ahead, as long as you're careful. I think I'm gonna go home."

"I'll meet you there later then."