7 - Mysterious Savior

The mosshead lay in the hot cell, his body wracked with exhaustion and hunger. Three days and four nights, with no sign of release or respite. He was focused, his mind circling around a hope for escape.  The darkness of the cell was oppressive, and he felt as if he was slowly being suffocated. Tonight was night three. Zoro and Robin would be executed the next day. His thoughts crept with underlying desperation, but he did his best to remain calm. I can't be the best swordsman if I die, or if I'm weak. Panicking is cowardice. I will escape. He was tired, and hungry, having used all of his meals to rust steel, rendering them unsafe for consumption. Tonight would mark his fourth sleepless night, but his pride wouldn't allow him to show weakness. He kicked the wall beside him once again.

"What now." The man groaned.

"Pass word to Robin that I'll need her help to escape. In whatever way she can. We need her if you want to escape with me."

"Fine."

Robin Pov:

She sat. Silently. It'd been days and he had yet to show. Of course, it was to be expected, and he had no obligation, but somehow, she had truly believed he would save her. Her tears had already run dry, and she was wordless... until someone kicked the wall beside her. She ignored it, but they continued.

"Can I help you?" She groaned

"Yea. Some guy named Zoro said pass word to Robin that he needs her help to escape.

So he had gotten ambushed and caught. It made sense. Why she hadn't heard news of a big shot like him in this tiny jail was incomprehensible, however. Her faith was restored, and she was joyous. Everyone else in the facility was confined by handcuffs chained to the walls. Robin, however, was restrained by a single seaprism cuff on her ankle, chained to a wall, that weakened her enough to prevent any escapes. She knew what she had to do, and her resolve was completely restored. She sat down and grabbed her foot, taking a deep breath.

Zoro pov:
A violent scream, desparate and painful, yet familiar. This woke him, as he had almost dozed off. He recognized the voice. The very reason he has to stay awake and rust the cuffs. Seconds later, he saw her figure standing in front of the cell, holding reliantly onto the bars, with a pained expression, fresh with what seemed to be tears.

"Can you come in here?"

"No. Sorry, Zoro, but it's taking everything I have to maintain this here. You need me, right?"

"Yea. Motivation."

"That's it?"

"What you can't even do that?"

"O-of course I can!" She said offended. "Come on. You can do it. If you don't, we die" she said with a smile. Somehow, however, it worked. It ironically made him laugh, and raised his spirits. He stood, bound by tarnished cuffs. Spreading his arms out as far as he could, he smashed the cuffs together, shattering them. He breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thanks Robin. I'll need you to pick the lock with one of the broken shards"

He handed her one, as she had only sprouted from her waist, and she freed him. He ran immediately towards the direction he heard the scream from, ironically not getting lost. Using the same shard to pick her lock, he opened the door.

"Get up. Let's go."

"I can't."

"Why no-" he paused, looking down at her swollen and mangled foot, which she had twisted and broken to escape her cuff. With a huff, he squated, that she may crawl on his back.

"Lead the way, and I have to return to pay my debts."

"We could leave them, they'll die anyway. No one would know about your dishonesty."

"I could've said the same about you. No we can't. I won't dishonor myself like that."

She smiled "I suppose you're right. Let's go."

They snuck into the Correctional Officers' Office and stole Zoro's swords along with the key. They left it with the inmates and escaped towards the beach. It wasn't long, however, before they were chased. Marines with guns were hot on their trail, and the beach wasn't exactly full of cover. Carrying Robin bridal style now, Zoro ran towards nothing in particular, ignoring his astonishment at the color around him, that he'd become unaccustomed to. His lungs were weak, his eyes were heavy, the cold air burned, and his legs were hardly working. Sleepless nights stacked against him. It was dark and unforgiving.

"GET BACK HERE. YOU LET THEM ALL OUT" a marine yelled, grabbing a rifle. Robin tried to use her devil fruit to remove it, but couldn't.

They intended to recapture me. Of course they'd have sea prism. She thought.

"THEN GO CHASE THEM. LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE" Zoro yelled back mockingly, laughing, before he was interrupted by a bullet. He ignored it, however, and ran. Soon enough, he was being pursued by a firing squad. Bullets peppered his back like rain. His sprint slowed into a run, slowed into a jog, slowed into a walk, slowed into a soggy, limping trudge. Robin couldn't help but cry.

"FALL DOWN DUMBASS" she cried, using uncharacteristically vulgar language.

He smirked. "Never. I'll die on my feet if I have to."

She growled. This was more than pride, it was levity. She used her weight to throw him down onto the ground. He was surprisingly heavy laying on her. The firing squad ceased, and approached the two closer. For some reason, however, she smiled. This fight, right before the end, meant a lot to her.

"I should've known. My happiness could never have lasted long." She said, closing her eyes and accepting her fate. Zoro tried with every fiber of muscle in his body to move, but couldn't. The Marines grew silent however, stopping shortly in front of them. Robin opened her eyes to see a man with blond hair smoking a cigarette, standing in front of her and Zoro, facing the Marines.