187 - 189

C187: Yuwen Zhi’s Choice

Beneath Yuwen Zhi’s angry gaze, Yuwen Tong remained unswayed. “How it’s going to be solely depending on your choice, uncle?”

As a matter of fact, Ling Zhang was also somewhat surprised. Originally, he had merely intended to take advantage of Yuwen Qi’s mistake to cut Yuwen Zhi and others down to size, so that they would no longer dare to make trouble for him at every turn; he might really end up being killed if what had happened earlier this day repeated itself a couple of times. Though the choices Yuwen Tong offered Yuwen Zhi were surprising, this was a good solution to this troublesome issue. If Yuwen Zhi wanted to keep the glory, splendor, wealth and status he and his family currently enjoyed, he must mete out punishment to his son and stop being a busybody. If he wanted his son to keep his mobility, then he’d have no alternative but to separate from Yuwen Tong, which would also deprive Yuwen Zhi of the right to interfere in Yuwen Tong’s business. As a result, no matter which option Yuwen Zhi took, he would have to stop sticking his nose where it didn’t belong.

Of course neither of the two sounded acceptable to Yuwen Zhi, but he was not the one calling the tune in this matter, Yuwen Tong was.

“Ah–!”

Yuwen Qi’s leg was still broken. Yuwen Zhi did it himself. Zheng shi failed to stop her husband in time, though she wanted to.

“Qi’er! My Qi’er! How could your father be so heartless!” Zheng shi burst into loud wail, as if it were not a leg but his life that her son had just lost. Su Yaoyao standing beside her had paled visibly some time ago. The sight of Yuwen Qi lying on the ground crying in anguish chilled her blood to the bone, deterring her from giving another glance at Yuwen Tong.

“Lock Yuwen Qi in the ancestral hall for a month,” instructed Yuwen Zhi through gritted teeth after dropping the staff in his hand, his icy eyes fixed on Yuwen Tong.

Yuwen Feng, standing on the side with a sullen look on his face, tried to help Yuwen Qi to his feet but was pushed aside by him. “Get off me!” thundered Yuwen Qi.

“Yuwen Tong, Ling Zhang, I swear to God I’ll make you pay for what you did to me today! Father, how could you do this to me, father?!”

Yuwen Qi yelled furiously, screeching in pain, but neither Yuwen Tong nor Ling Zhang nor Yuwen Zhi made any replies to Yuwen Qi.

Yuwen Tong said to Yuwen Zhi, “Now that you’ve made a choice, I hope Uncle and Aunt will not interfere in my or Younger Brother Zhang’s business again. Meanwhile, I’ll keep my promise.”

Exercising all his self-restrain, Yuwen Zhi suppressed his rage, fists clenched tightly shaking in his sleeves.

After resolving the issue of Yuwen Qi and also having Yuwen Zhi make a choice, Yuwen Tong, along with Ling Zhang, left the Langya Garden which was the abode of his uncle.

Nobody uttered a word along the way. It was not until they went through the wood that Ling Zhang broke the silence. “I’ll walk Elder Brother Tao home first. You–”

Yuwen Tong replied, “I need to pay a visit to the Ministry of War. There’s a luncheon in the imperial palace at noon. I’ll return as early as I can in the afternoon.”

Originally, Tao Yi had wanted to decline Ling Zhang’s offer of walking him home, but after hearing Yuwen Tong’s remarks, he held back the words that had sprung to his lips. He had been very eager to see Yuwen Tong all along but what happened this day was so unexpected that he didn’t know what to say to Yuwen Tong. After all, he had just witnessed an intense domestic strife of Yuwen family…