508 - 510

C508 Reunion

Yuwen Jin arrived with a team of soldiers and freed Ling Zhang from the surrounding circle of enemies.

Ling Zhang's eyes searched the group for quite a while but the one he wanted to see was not among them. "Where's your cousin?" he asked Yuwen Jin.

Yuwen Jin said, "He's in the encampment."

In the encampment? Ling Zhang furrowed his brows. "What happened to him?!"

Yuwen Jin was astonished at the piercing look in his eyes. "No-Nothing. My cousin is safe and sound."

Ling Zhang looked incredulously at him. Feeling that Yuwen Jin didn't seem to be lying, he gradually relaxed and said, "You guys handle the rest of them. I'll go out of the city to see him."

"All right," said Yuwen Jin subconsciously. Not until Ling Zhang leaped out of the surrounding circle and whooshed towards the city gates by jumping from one rooftop to another did Yuwen Jin recall he had a question to ask Ling Zhang. "Wait, Brother Zhang! You still haven't told me why you're here! Don't leave yet!"

However, Ling Zhang who had gone far away ignored him. Watching Ling Zhang's receding back, Yuwen Jin felt hurt.

...

In the encampment of the army of the Great Wen.

"Dispatch delivery!"

"The city gates have been battered open. Our main force has gained entry."

Yuwen Tong was somewhat surprised. So soon?

"Someone helped open the city gates from within."

Someone helped open the city gates? The expression in Yuwen Tong's eyes immediately changed at the report and with that he sprung to his feet. However, he had just straightened himself when his face abruptly blanched, and even his breathing became difficult, but he clenched his teeth. The man kneeling on the ground didn't dare raise his head and thus failed to notice it.

"Where is that person?" enunciated Yuwen Tong.

"We-We haven't seen them yet," answered the man, nervously lowering his head further.

Yuwen Tong made towards the door but had just gone two paces when his breathing became increasingly difficult. He had no choice but to halt. After a while, unreconciled to the situation, he commanded, "Send some men to find him and keep him safe. Now!"

"Yes, Sire!" The man immediately took his leave. Before long, he led a group of soldiers towards the exit of the encampment with the intention to find that person, but he had just walked through the gate when something occurred to him and he paused. Damn it! How was he supposed to find that person when he didn't even know who had helped open the city gates?

At this time, Ling Zhang had gone through the city gates. His bodyguards, who happened to be not far away from the gates, all felt relieved at the sight of him and hastily clustered around him. A while ago, when Ling Zhang had disappeared from their sight in an instant, all of them had been startled to such an extent that cold sweat had broken out all over their backs.

"Liuzi, pick a couple of men and stay here to help. Dashan and all the others are to go with me to the encampment outside the city."

"Yes, Young Master."

Ling Zhang led his bodyguards in a direction precisely opposite to that of the army flooding into the city. Halfway to the encampment, they met the team of soldiers detailed to look for them. Both groups halted.

"Who are you?" The man leading the team had never seen Ling Zhang before, but he was surprised that Ling Zhang and the others had exited the city safely without being stopped by any soldiers, so he cautiously asked them to identify themselves.