Chapter 41: The Tarasque's Wings

Maigred stared at Finten's back in awe. The scars were smoothing out, none of his skin was red or irritated anymore. The twisted, malformed scales that had been poking through Finten's back had somehow straightened out and were growing wide and flat, with serrated edges. The soft tips of thousands of new, bright red scales were beginning to appear all over his back, like the feathers of a baby bird.

I did that, Maigred realized. The earth sister used me to give his body new life.

Alvie spun around towards her guard. "Bring in the others."

Maigred's eyes were still glued to Finten's back. His breathing was speeding up. He stood up and turned around. He looked first at Maigred then at Alvie "What? What happened?"

Alvie turned and looked at Maigred, there was something primal and dark in her her eyes. Fear ignited inside Maigred. She couldn't possibly know I still have powers, could she? Maigred swallowed and looked back at Finten. How could she not know?

Finten put his hand on Alvie's shoulder. "What happened?"

Alvie turned towards him, a sneer on her face. "Have you been diddling Maigred's daughter?"

"What?" He stumbled back a step.

Alvie laughed. "The whore's daughter turns out to be another little whore." She turned and left the room.

Maigred ran after Alvie. "It wasn't her, Alvie. It was me. Please, take me to Hadeaon. My daughter had nothing to do with it."

Alvie grabbed Maigred and shoved her against the wall, her fingers digging into Maigred's arms. "That's impossible, and you know it," she snarled, her face nearly touching Maigred's. "Hadeaon took that ability away from you a long time ago. If you know what's good for you, you'll acknowledge that it was your little slut of a daughter that did that. You'll let Hadeaon take her virginity and this will all be done. Otherwise, I'll have your brother and your daughter sliced to pieces in front of you, and then you'll be killed as slowly as possible." She let go of Maigred and scurried down the rest of the stairs.

Finten appeared. He touched her shoulder "Maig? What's happening?"

"She thinks it was Sinead." Maigred turned, raised her skirts in one hand and took the stairs two at a time.

"She thinks it was Sinead who what?"

There was a loud crash from the kitchen and a yell from Cathal.

"Cathal!" Maigred cried her heart in her throat. She raced into the kitchen to see a cup smash against the back door. She looked over to where Cara was sitting. She was about to throw another dish.

"Maigred!" Cara cried. "They took Sinead and Cathal. I'm so sorry."

The world swam in front of her for a moment. Finten's hand rested on her shoulder steadying her.

"Maigred, I don't understand. What's happening?"

The nightmare that Maigred had had for the last three nights flashed into her mind. Her running with Sinead pressed to her chest. Hadeaon chasing them. "This isn't supposed to happen. I'm supposed to be there with her." She muttered.

"Do you want me to go after them?" Finten asked.

Maigred focused. He was standing in front of her her, his hands on her shoulders. He looked scared and furious at the same time.

"Do you want me to go after them?" He asked again.

Maigred blinked. "No. Finten, I have to tell you something. Sinead is Hadeaon's daughter."

He blinked, frowned. "What?"

"She has a brother, a twin brother. I've done everything I can to keep him far from here and safe, but if Hadeaon get's one whiff of her scent, he's going to know. He'll use her to track him down. He'll kill them both."

Finten swallowed. The confused look on his face smoothed away. He gave a nod. "Tell me what you want me to do, I'll do anything." 

"I...Finten, do you have wings?" She felt so stupid asking the question. She knew he didn't.

Surprise washed over his face. "H-how did you know about that? Only Caevah and I-"

Maigred grabbed his shoulders. "Do you have wings? Can you lend them to me?" According to her dream they were Sinead's only hope.

"I...Maig, I..." He let out a helpless breath. He shut his eyes and swallowed, then opened them again. "Sometimes when Caevah needed to go to another territory, I would merge my powers with hers and stay here to keep a tether from her to the land so she could travel and carry her powers with her.

"Caevah called it lending her my wings. But you, I- I can't..." He swallowed again. He stared at her, his expression helpless and afraid.

Finten suddenly seemed to come to some sort of decision. His hands tightened on her shoulders. His golden eyes got very bright and fierce. "I give myself to you, Maigred." He leaned his forehead against hers and shut his eyes. "I give myself to you. Wholly and fully. I give you my fire, my life, my heart. Everything I am, everything in me, is yours." He took a breath and the air he breathed out brushed Maigred's lips.

"Take my wings."

Sudden power came roaring from Finten's hands, through Maigred's shoulders, into her body. It was much stronger than it had been when she had used her powers to heal Finten. Inside of Maigred an answering strength rose up to meet it.

This time, the two forces immediately twined, becoming one. They twirled and danced and grew till Maigred felt like she would combust from all the power inside her.

"Maigred!"

She opened her eyes and found him staring at her his eyes wide with wonder. "I-" tears began to fill his eyes.

Maigred cupped his face in her hands. "Thank you, Finten. Thank you for your faith in me. Now, let's go get my girl."