Epilogue: The Final Stone

"When will the marriage ceremony be?"

Maigred smiled stiffly at the woman, trying to come up with an answer that wasn't rude. If she had a stone for every time she had been asked that question over the last year, she could have rebuilt the wall encircling the town from scratch. The stones she would have collected from being asked that question just today, would have doubled the wall's thickness.

"I still haven't said yes," Finten's voice came from over Maigred's shoulder. His hand rested on her shoulder and squeezed gently.

Maigred relaxed. She leaned back into his tall, sturdy body, reveling in the familiar feel of his magic twining with hers, a gentle hum vibrating between them where their bodies touched. She was grateful he had chosen that moment to find her in the crowd of celebrating people.

It had been a year since Hadeaon had been defeated. A year of rebuilding the town and rebuilding relationships. Maigred had started corresponding with other ladies in territories nearby. They had proved eager to help. Hearth maidens had come to help Maigred start a school for the girls in the territory, Finten had started a training program for the boys, no one was turned away. Every child would have a chance to connect to the gods and to their own powers. Things were going well, but people were still eagerly waiting for Maigred and Finten to get married.

"Oh," the woman looked nonplussed. "Why haven't you said yes yet? Caevah's been dead for a long time, surely you're ready to move on?"

Maigred went stiff, her right hand curled into a fist.

Finten's hand moved down and slid around Maigred's waist. "You know how unpredictable we tarasque are, maybe I'll say yes tonight." He laughed impishly and pulled Maigred away towards where other couples were dancing to live music in the square. He drew her close, his hands on her waist, and began leading her through the steps of the dance.

Maigred put her hands on his shoulders, let out a breath and rested her forehead against his chest. "If one more person asks me, I swear, Finten, I'm going to put a curse on them."

Finten laughed quietly.

"Thank you for rescuing me, and...for taking the blame."

The truth was, she hadn't asked Finten to marry her yet. She could feel the grey stone, which she still carried in her pocket, thump gently against her leg as they moved to the music. She'd had it strung on a cord in preparation for a wedding ceremony months ago, but she still hadn't asked him.

Finten kissed the top of her head. "She shouldn't have asked you that. It's none of her business what you decide to do."

"It is though, Finten. We're the lord and lady of the land. The harmony, or lack of harmony, between us is what determines the safety of their homes. It's natural for people to worry over how our relationship is going."

"You don't owe them anything, Maig. They're lucky you chose to give them your loyalty, that you chose to fight for them."

Maigred leaned back to look up at him. He smiled warmly down at her. He was wearing the outfit she had made as a courtship gift for him. He looked good in it. 

"What about you?"

"I don't know how lucky they are to have me." His eyes twinkled.

Maigred reached up and put her hand over his mouth. "No. Don't say that. They are very lucky to have you."

Finten kissed her fingers where they rested against his lips.

Maigred smiled and shook her head. She put her hand back on his shoulder. "You're impossible, you know that?"