Chapter 42: The Curse Comes To Roost

She, Finten, and Aoibh had gone after Alvie and her men as quickly as they could. Finten kept looking over at Maigred as they hurried towards the manor with awe in his eyes, but he didn't ask any questions. They just hurried along, his stride as long and sure as it had been in her dream.

When they got to the door, the guards moved to block them.

"Move." Finten said.

"But, mistress Alvie said-"

"Do you want Hadeaon to take his wrath out on you for keeping him waiting?" Finten thundered.

The two men looked at each other uncertainly, then moved out of the way. Finten opened the door so that Maigred could pass through.

She heard a female voice cry out in pain and followed the sound as quickly as she could to the main hall.

Sinead was standing proud and tall near the fireplace, her fists clenched, in front of Cathal, who was kneeling, his hands bound behind his back. There was blood running down his face and his nose was crooked and puffy. One of his eyes was purple and swollen shut. Two of Hadeaon's men had their hands on his shoulders, several more were grouped around him and Sinead.

Hadeaon was standing in the middle of the hall, a furious expression on his face. Alvie was kneeling on the ground in front of him, her face stark white, her hands clutching at her stomach, blood was bubbling out between her fingers and spreading across the front of her white robes.

"How could you let this happen?" Hadeaon screamed.

"I- I'm sorry, my lord." Alvie choked out. "Your poison should have ended the pregnancy, it should have killed her. I meant for her to die."

"But she didn't, and you didn't tell me you switched out your potion," He snarled, reaching down and grabbing Alvie by the collar. He jerked her up off the floor. "Instead she kept her magic, she lived, and she bore my children! I've had dozens of men out searching for any progeny I might have spawned, and here I find them growing right under my very nose!"

"Please, my lord, have mercy. Share your power with me." Alvie cried. Her eyes were wide with terror. "I made one mistake. You need me still."

Maigred stared at the unfolding scene in front of her. Apparently Alvie hadn't given her the antidote to Hadeaon's poison twelve years ago, like she was supposed to. It was Maigred's own magic that had saved her from his poison. Maigred's magic had saved her brother had saved her children. Her own power had protected her and the people she loved most.

Maigred swallowed. Doom through love, love for his child. She knew what she had to do. She stepped into the room and began walking towards Hadeaon. "You don't need the witch anymore."

Hadeaon turned to look at Maigred. He grinned and let go of Alvie who collapsed on the floor with a groan. "What are you doing here, Maigred? Come to offer yourself in place of your brother again, or perhaps, in place of your daughter, my daughter?"

"No." She unbuckled her belt and dropped it on the floor. "I've come to offer you myself." She pulled her dress over her head and dropped it to the floor as well.

She heard Finten make a choked noise behind her.

Please, have faith. She loosened the tie at the top of her chemise. "I know what your doom is, doom through love of your child. But I can stop it. I'm the only one who can stop it."

"What do you mean?" Hadeaon snarled.

Maigred walked over to a large table that was close to Hadeaon. Then she turned and smiled at him. "I'm the last of the hearth maiden's attached to this land. I've hidden myself and my daughter from you for years, hoping we could escape from you, but, you found us. Escape from you is impossible.