chapter forty one

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?"

Jason Carver had a very punchable face. Especially as he looked down on the group, eyes zeroing in on Willow with an impossibly smug grin.

The silence from their group is deafening. Robin has gone slack-jawed, shock settling as her body is completely still and she stares in horror at her prediction coming true - Jason was going to be the one to initiate something. Right here, right now. Eddie and Steve, on the other hand, react totally differently from Robin, but similar to each other. Both of their jaws clench, eyes hard and narrow as they look up at the jocks. The tension in the air, radiating off of both of them, is suffocating. And not in a good way.

"Carver," Steve is the one to break their silence, gritting the name out between grinding teeth.

"Harrington!" Jason puts on a cheerful act, a hand coming down to Steve's shoulder, "It's been ages. How are you, man? Bad, I'm assuming. I mean, I'd heard the rumors that you'd lost your charm, but to be hanging out with freaks?" Jason sucks in an exaggerated breath, shaking his head slightly, "Always thought you were better than that."

"What do you want, asshole?" Eddie interrupts before Steve can defend himself, trying for Willow's sake to not let anything start.

Jason turns his gaze on Eddie like a predator stalking prey. Willow's hands begin to shake under the table, "I don't believe I was talking to you."

"And now you are," Eddie keeps a straight face, his shoulders pushed back and no sign of cowering in sight, "So, again - what do you want, asshole?"

"Actually, I just want to talk."

" Just talk? Bullshit."

"I do. And ironically enough, to you specifically. Alone ."

Willow no longer keeps quiet, realizing what Jason was trying to do, "No."

Everyone clearly sees what Jason's end goal here was; he wanted to get Eddie alone, no doubt to cause him physical harm.

" No ? Your girl makes decisions for you now, freak?" Jason doesn't look away from Eddie, a smile tugging on the corner of his lips.

Eddie turns to Willow and she knows his mind is made up. There's not a thing she can say to him right now to convince him to not go and 'talk' to Jason and his gang all alone. By the look in his eyes, she knows that he knows that there won't be much talking. But he also knows that if he doesn't comply, Jason will stay here, bothering all of them possibly all night. He doesn't want to force her to deal with that.

What he doesn't realize is that she'd take Jason Carver spitting venom at her for an eternity if it meant forever postponing another hand ever being laid on Eddie.

"I'll be right back," he murmurs, leaning over and pressing a short kiss to her cheek. She almost turns her head to capture his lips. He doesn't give her the chance before he stands and faces Jason, "Alright, shall we?"

Jason is smiling with a sick pride, his intentions painted across his face. "We shall. I'll lead the way," he turns towards the door of the diner, looking back over the two other jocks with him and tossing out a, "C'mon, boys."

The moment they disappear outside, Willow is desperately turning in her seat in the booth, peering out the large window to her side to catch sight.

So far, so good. They're just talking. Maybe he really just wants to talk.

"We can't let him just stay out there alone," she huffs despite her blind hope. Every second that ticks by is a second more than Jason has a chance to hurt Eddie.