chapter fifty

"Hey, uh, I'm sorry to interrupt whatever... this is, but...Well, do either of you know why Eddie just stormed out of the house saying he was going home after he was supposed to come and check on you guys?"

Willow's heart stops at Robin's words.

"What?" she chokes out a whisper, already starting to pull herself up. Steve looks just as shocked, twisting his body painfully to look at their friend with his feet still in the water.

"I said, Eddie just stormed out of the house-" Robin begins to repeat herself, but Willow cuts her off.

"I heard what you said. When was this?"

"Just now. Pretty sure the front door is still open."

Willow is shrugging off Steve's jacket from her shoulders, flinging it his way as he pulls his feet from the water. The cold air has him hissing sharply as he tries to rub warmth into his ankles.

When the leather smacks him in the face, he looks baffled, looking up at Willow, clearly prepared to argue that she keeps it on, "'Low, it's cold -"

"I don't care. I'm not chasing after him in your jacket."

She doesn't bother to explain. She doesn't even wait around to help Steve up, leaving Robin to help steady him on his feet. She's already making her way back to the sliding glass door, slipping into the house, strutting across the living room.

Robin wasn't joking; the front door is still open.

"Willow!" Dustin calls out, but she ignores the boy.

She'll apologize later. Right now, she doesn't care about anyone except Eddie.

She can see his figure making its way quickly down the winding driveway to his van parked at the end, his long strides forcing her to pick up her pace.

"Eddie!" her voice echoes out into the still night. She knows he hears her; there's not a single soul making noise besides her outside. Even Mother Nature has gone quiet, as if aware of what was about to happen. He ignores her.

Her thighs and lungs begin to burn when she picks up to nearly a jog, realizing he wasn't going to stop or turn around.

"Eddie, please!" she attempts to call out again. He's nearly to his van.

She can't let him leave. She has know idea what he had seen, what he had heard. Her gut whispers that he must have seen the kiss if he's acting this way, and it makes her want to cripple over in agony.

Because if he saw her kiss Steve and he leaves, she's terrified she won't see him again. And she'd deserve it.

God, if he walked away from her now, she knows she deserves it. If the roles were reversed, if she had ever seen Eddie kissing another girl, she knows she wouldn't be able to face him. She would have left him in the dust too.

"Please," she begs one last time, finally halting in the gravel behind him.

He still doesn't look at her, hand halted on his door handle. His voice finally sounds, rough and callous as he says, "I saw you kiss him. It's fine. The deal's done, right?"

"What?" she whispers. Her gut had been right; Eddie had seen the kiss, if not more. It shouldn't be so shocking to hear him say it out loud.

"The deal's off," he sounds more sure as he says it this time.

Her heart shatters to hear him say the words.

"No, I-"

He cuts her off, "You kissed him. You got the guy, Red. That was our deal, right?" When she doesn't answer him, he continues, "You help me graduate, I help you get Harrington. Seems like we've both done our part."