35

the case is solved.

the case is solved.

the case is solved.

Anthony gray is missing.

yesterday harry spent twenty wasted minutes trying to get Louis to calm down from a panic attack which was so severe to the point that harry called Noah, forcing him out of his slumber so he could give him tips on how to get Louis to calm down.

this morning Louis was dull. he was too invested in his head though only a small brush from Harry's skin against his would revive him. he had skipped breakfast even after harry had prepared it for him, mumbling about his urge to be in the office.

it's until now, when Harry and Louis barge into Anthony's office, they find it empty.

"fuck" harry brushes his hands on his tired face "he's done a runner?"

Louis inspects Anthony's desk, opening drawers and files animalistically for any type of clue of where his location would be. "fu- no, it can't be. we are so close to finishing this case. this can't happen."

harry walks over to him in defeat and pulls him in his arms "it's okay. we'll find him, don't stress."

it takes Louis his entire strength to will himself not to cry in the middle of the office with Harry's arms around him. he isn't doing that on purpose, it's just that something inside of him clicks whenever he's so near to knowing something that is going to create change in his and others lives.

he spends the rest of the day with his head relaxed on the desk. he simply doesn't possess the energy to run around the office with millions of ideas harassing his brain. it's four in the afternoon when Louis feels a hand rub at his back, resulting in him jolting awake. it's harry, with his eyes dripping concern "it's just me"

"sorry" Louis runs a hand through his hair and glances at his filled desk with anxiety blooming in his lungs "Jesus Christ, I haven't done all my paper work"

"don't worry, I did them for you." Louis stands up and climbs on his tiptoes to press his lips against harry's tightly to indicate his gratefulness "I love you"

the words tingle on Harry's tongue but he smiles fondly instead, leaning down to press a peck to the corner of Louis' mouth "come on, let's go home"

the ride back to louis' place was eerily quite. the atmosphere was decorated by the buzzing of the radio and the frequent sound of kisses harry presses to louis' hand. when they return, Louis aims straight for the balcony with his packet of cigarettes weighing his hand down.

harry follows, of course.

"Lou?" he speaks over the angry wind of the winter. rubbing his hand over the nape of Louis neck seems to snap him out of his own head "hm?"

"are you-"

Louis smashes the butt of his cigarette on the nearby ashtray "I'm fine" he goes to depart but harry locks his wrist in his grip gently yet sternly.

"Louis" he starts "i'm your boyfriend. let me take care of you"

they stare at each other and try to ignore the change in their eyes from the first time they've ever met. their eyes were sparkling with a burning passion but now they're buried with the dust of exhaustion.

"okay" Louis whispers.

harry smiles in gratefulness and pecks louis' cheek, grasping his hand and walking them to the bathroom for a shower. he shuts the door and places Louis on the sink, peeling his shirt off. when his eyes run over louis' body his nose itches and he closes his eyes, willing his emotions to seep back into his brain.

his shoulders are bony and his stomach is carving in, his ribs poking out instead "what's wrong?"

harry doesn't utter a response other than pulling Louis into his embrace. they stay locked in the hug for as long as they can both count before they part and Harry goes to turn the warm water on as an excuse to gather his emotions together.

they have a silent shower with a heavy tension as harry scrubs louis' back, placing gentle kisses on his shoulders. the water washes away their thoughts yet they still feel scarred with the voids their thoughts had carved into their hearts.

"do you think we'll be able to track him down and find him?'' Louis asks when he turns to face harry, tracking his chest tattoo with his finger tips.

harry tips Louis' chin and kisses his lips softly, reassuringly "of course"

they finish their showers and Harry goes into the kitchen to make something though he's aware of their lost appetite. Louis swings his feet as he sits on the counter.

"what are you thinking about?" harry asks when his eyes catch a glimpse of Louis' zoned out face. he puts the pot of water on the stove and goes to place the space between louis' knees with his torso.

Louis kisses his nose "all of these victims were my age...I'm not going to think to far of my own death"

Harry's chest tightens with the thought and his heart crumbles. he sneaks his hand behind louis' neck and kisses him brushingly "I'm not going to let that fucking happen"

Louis runs his hand through Harry's hair, mumbling against his lip "you never know, H"

harry kisses him wetly again "I'm not going to let that happen." he repeats.

Louis kisses him one last time before he taps his chest "if we keep making out on the counter, your little meal is going to burn."

the scent catches up to Harry's meal and he jolts to turn the stove off "fuck"

Louis giggles "loser"

Louis' fond-watching of Harry's back as he moves around the kitchen is interrupted when his phone vibrates against his thigh, alerting him that he has a new message.

he hops off the counter and kisses harry one last time before he goes into his room to check the message.

his heart races when he checks it.

deleted message from Joseph w.