Duryodhan's disapproval

Karna's pov

"What is wrong with you?" demanded Duryodhan, when Karna returned to tell him he had not challenged Arjun.

"I decided there is not point heightening the hostility," said Karna, like he had planned on the way back, which was not a lie either. "An opportunity will present itself on its own; it's better not to provoke--"

"When will the opportunity present itself? After Arjun is a corpse inside a house of lacquer?"

"Yes, that is something we need to discuss," said Karna, wincing. "Duryodhan--this is a really, really bad idea. Even if it is not proved you orchestrated it, people will suspect. Of course they will, and your future as king will only be harmed--"

Duryodhan frowned thoughtfully. "Maybe. We need a still more foolproof way to--"

This was not Karna had meant. He was approaching it the wrong way, he decided.

"Whatever Uncle Shakuni says, you do not need a way to kill them at all," said Karna. "I am sorry, but does it not seem a truly cowardly thing to do? Kill someone unawares to get the throne?"

"So what do you suggest, we challenge them to a fight and then kill them? In fact, you could do that with Arjun..."

Karna, who had certainly considered a battle to death with Arjun before he learnt of Kunti's secret, did not find anything to say.

"...but Arjun is not the biggest threat, Yudhishthir is, and he is such a coward he will never accept a challenge."

"You will never dare issue him a challenge, jyesht," said Dussashan drily.

"I?" thundered Duryodhan. "I will not dare?"

"Will you?" his brother asked, which Karna thought was unnecessarily oversmart of him.

"There will be no point anyway," he broke in. "Yudhishthir will not fight."

"And Pitamah wants such a coward on the throne," said Duryodhan.

"He would fight a threat to the kingdom," said Karna.

"My friend," said Duryodhan calmly. "Whose side are you on?"

Karna felt awful.

"Yours, of course," he said. "I would do anything to get your the throne of Hastinapur. But not by such means that taint your name."

"But, as Uncle said, we cannot help but do it by unfair means," said Dussashan. "The elders are all in Yudhishthir's favour. Even mother and father. It is not fair anyway. Yudhishthir is bound to win."

"It is indeed unfair..."

"See," said Duryodhan, looking triumphant.

"Maybe if we thought some more...and did not take Uncle Shakuni's advice...we could come up with a better solution than--"

"Do not speak against my Uncle," said Duryodhan, affronted.

Karna swallowed back a retort.

"Find any way out. Anything that does not involve a plot of murder behind their backs. You would be forever branded as unrighteous."

"Uncle Shakuni says victorious and righteous are synonymous," said Dussashan.

Karna swallowed back another retort.

"By fair means," he said patiently. "Ask Askwatthama."

"Are you mad? He will straightaway go and tell those Pandavas--"

As someone should, thought Karna. If he was unable to convince Duryodhan to drop this madness, it might have to be himself who tipped off the Pnadavas.

His heart contracted at the idea of betraying his friend. The only one who had ever stood up for him apart from his adoptive parents.

Even his own mother had not stood up for him when he was being publicly humiliated for his birth.

He could not go behind Duryodhan's back. Which left only one option:

"Think about it for a while, my friend," said Karna. "Give me some time to convince you otherwise. Maybe you will see the folly of this plot eventually...but don't rush into something you may regret for the rest of your life."

"Me, regret killing the Pandavas," scoffed Duryodhan.

"They..." Karna hesitated. "They are not bad people, you know."

The look Duryodhan gave him would have made the boldest of souls quail.

"I mean, even if they are horrible people," he amended hastily, "they don't deserve to be burnt alive."

********************

As the month progressed, Karna tried everything he could think of to stall the horrible plot. His arguments with Duryodhan and Dussashan always went on in circles and never reached a conclusion. If Shakuni was present, the discussion ended within minutes, which the conclusion: yes, the Pandavas should certainly be burnt alive.

Only when Vikarna or Yuyutsu were in their discussion did Karna get some support. But like the Pandavas with Yudhishthir, these two were also bound entirely to Duryodhan, so those discussions never reached a conclusion either.

Once, Karna had suggested they take Duhsala's advice.

"Our sister?" said Dussashan incredulously. "She will have nightmares about it if you so much as mention we intend to injure the Pandavas."

"If you are so sure she would not approve, why do you not consider the idea is not right?" asked Karna.

"She is a girl, and a child. She is too innocent to understand politics," said Dussashan.

"Telling her is out of the question," said Duryodhan.

Karna did not know what to say anymore. He only hoped he could make some headway with his blood brothers before the plan came to pass.

Nowadays, Yudhishthir often smiled at Karna while they crossed paths. There was not really much warmth in the smile, but at least a cordiality.

Bheem, on the other hand, reserved his fiercest glares for Karna, along with Duryodhan. The twins gave no expression at all. 

Arjun simply avoided him. Whatever Yudhishthir had said about arrogance--which matched Duryodhan's account of Arjun's nature, too--Karna no longer found the slightest arrogance in Arjun's demeanour. He wondered if he had been judging him too harshly out of loyalty towards Duryodhan before he leant the truth of his birth, or if he was now judging him too leniently because he was his younger brother.

Either way, he did not seem inclined to pick up a fight. Yudhishthir must have drilled it into his head, for which Karna was glad.

The only person he avoided steadfastly in the palace was Queen Kunti.

During royal feasts or functions, however, it became impossible to pointedly ignore her, especially since she sought him out every time. He could not escape a conversation; even Duryodhan was fond of Kunti.

"What is up with you?" she asked one day. "You don't come to visit me anymore..."

"I--I would not want to run into your sons, Queen Mother," said Karna.

"Come on, Karna. I noticed you, in fact, don't seem to hate Arjun and the others anymore. I am glad," she added.

Glad? thought Karna. Glad that two of your sons are not each others bitterest rivals anymore?

Why would she not accept me?

Why would she rather let me fight Arjun than accept me?

Karna turned away abruptly. "I need a word with Duryodhan, Maharani. Farewell."

What would Duryodhan say if he knew the truth?

Karna did not even want to consider it.