|CHAPTER 5|

This work was beautifully done by Rose_by_another_name

https://archiveofourown.org/works/23828404/chapters/57355030

Chapter 5

Third P.O.V

    "Christmas was slowly approaching, well Yule actually as Eliza had learnt, and Hogwarts had been swept up in the festivities. Seeing the Christmas season celebrated so happily was a bit of a novelty to Eliza and at first she took great delight in the gigantic Christmas trees, the tinsel and the icicles strung up around the grand castle but soon the sights become dull and Eliza grew tired of being cold in the draughty castle. She had taken to wearing extra layers beneath her uniform, especially in Potions where without the roaring fire of the Slytherin commons the dungeons were terribly cold.

    "I do feel sorry" Malfoy said quietly in potions one day "for all the people who have to stay at Hogwarts over Yule because they're not wanted at home" Some people growled at the thought of the spoiled little boy, who had known nothing of the hardships of life. While others, namely Eliza, Tom, and her court members present, laughed at Draco.

    "Evidently he was still bitter about losing his standing in the court. He had yet to make any moves to reclaim his position at least but Eliza knew she would have to act soon. Their year mates were divided between two possible leaders and that never made for a strong court." The Slytherin's murmured in agreement a strong court couldn't be divided or if wasn't nearly as effective as it could be.

    "But it was true, Eliza wasn't leaving Hogwarts over Yule and had jumped at the chance to stay over break. Not only did the orphanage pale in comparison to Hogwarts (or anything really) , the thought of living away from magic longer than she had to make something in Eliza burned with anger.

    Eliza was just walking around the corner on her way back from Herbology planning to drown herself under the hot water of a shower to get warmth back into her numb limbs when she almost walked right into Hagrid who was blocking the corridor. Staying quiet Eliza moved around the man not drawing attention to herself as she listened in on the conversation between Hagrid, Weasley and Granger.

    "We just want to know what Fluffy is guarding Hagrid"

    Fluffy? Was that the name of that infernal dog on the third floor?

    "Yeah Hagrid, we know it's something to do with Nicholas Flamel right?"

    Eliza felt her brows furrow as she walked past them without being noticed heading down to the commons. Flamel? Wasn't he an alchemist or something? What was it he had created? Eliza wracked her brain as she walked into the commons nodding in greeting at Theo and Blaise as she headed to her dorm.

    The philosopher's stone.

    Surely the headmaster wouldn't guard an artefact that powerful in a school full of children would he?

    Of course he would.

    Eliza could only hope she wouldn't get caught up in the old fool's plans." The Gryffindors once again looked affronted at her disrespect for their beloved leader, who was the 'epitome of a beacon of light,'

~

    "Eliza was one of the few Slytherins staying over Yule break, most of the students went home to celebrate Yule with their family and attend the famous Malfoy Yule Ball, the closest thing anyone had left of their traditions.

    She woke up later than usual and sleepily made her way down to the common room planning to curl up with a book by the roaring fire only to jump in surprise when she saw the commons occupied, a large pile of presents spread out around the small tree in the corner.