Chapter 2

In Alessia's mind, President Snow should be viewed in front of marble pillars hung with oversized flags. It's jarring to see him surrounded by the ordinary objects in the room. Like taking the lid off a pot and finding a fanged viper instead of stew.

What could he be doing here? Her mind rushes back to the opening days of other Victory Tours. She remembers seeing the winning tributes with their mentors and stylists. Even some high government officials have made appearances occasionally. But Alessia has never seen President Snow. He attends celebrations in the Capitol. Period.

If he's made the journey all the way from his city, it can only mean one thing. She's in serious trouble. And if she is, so is her friends. A shiver goes through her when she thinks of the proximity of Mrs. Everdeen, Katniss, Prim and to this man who despises her. Will always despise her. Because she outsmarted his sadistic Hunger Games, made the Capitol look foolish, and consequently undermined his control.

All she was doing was trying to keep Peeta and herself alive. Any act of rebellion was purely coincidental. But when the Capitol decrees that only one tribute can live and you have the audacity to challenge it, she guesses that's a rebellion itself. Her only defense was now "pretending" that she was driven insane by a passionate love for Peeta. So they were both allowed to live. To be crowned victors. To go home and celebrate and wave goodbye to the cameras and be left alone. Until now.

Perhaps it is the newness of the house or the shock of seeing him or the mutual understanding that he could have killed her in a second that makes her feel like the intruder. As if this is his home and she's the uninvited party. So she doesn't welcome him or offer him a chair. She doesn't say anything. In fact, she treats him as if he's a real snake, the venomous kind. She stands motionless, her eyes locked on him, considering plans of retreat.

"I think we'll make this whole situation a lot simpler by agreeing not to lie to each other," he says. "What do you think?"

She thinks her tongue has frozen and speech will be impossible, so she surprises herself by answering back in a steady voice, "Yes, I think that would save time."

President Snow smiles and she notices his lips for the first time. She's expecting snake lips, which is to say none. But his are overly full, the skin stretched too tight. She has to wonder if his mouth has been altered to make him more appealing. If so, it was a waste of time and money, because he's not appealing at all. "My advisors were concerned you would be difficult, but you're not planning on being difficult, are you?" he asks.

"No," she answers.

"That's what I told them. I said any girl who goes to such lengths to preserve her life isn't going to be interested in throwing it away with both hands. And then there's her family to think off. Her mother, her sister, her father... oh wait they're gone," Snow says. Alessia gives a glare at the man, he knows her weak spots. He continues, "Also her friends that are now like family, her best friend, and all those... cousins." By the way he lingers on the word "cousins," she can tell he knows that Gale and her don't share a family tree.

Well it's all on the table now. Maybe that's better. She doesn't do well with ambiguous threats. She'd much rather know the score.

"Let's sit." President Snow takes a seat at the large desk of polished wood where Prim does her homework and Mrs. Everdeen does her budgets. Like their home, this is a place that he has no right, but ultimately every right, to occupy. She sits in front of the desk on one of the carved , straight-backed chairs. It's made for someone taller than her, so only her toes rest on the ground. 

"I have a problem, Miss Farehart," says President Snow. "A problem that began the moment you pulled out those poisonous berries in the arena."

That was the moment when she guessed that if the Gamemakers had to choose between watching Peeta and her commit suicide- which would mean having no victor- and letting them both live, they would take the latter.