Chapter 18

Alessia is still smoldering a little, so it's with a tentative hand that Caesar reaches out to touch her headpiece. The white has burned away, leaving a smooth, fitted veil of black that drapes into the neckline of the dress in the back. "Feathers," says Caesar. "You're like a bird."

"A mockingjay," Alessia says, giving her wings a small flap. "It's the bird on my pin I wear as a token."

A shadow of recognition flickers across Caesar's face, and she can tell he knows that the mockingjay isn't just her token. That it's come to symbolize so much more. That what will be seen as a flashy costume change in the Capitol is resonating in an entirely different way throughout the districts. But he makes the best of it.

"Well, hats off to your stylist. I don't think anyone can argue that that's not the most spectacular thing we've ever seen in an interview. Cinna, I think you better take a bow!" Caesar gestures for Cinna to rise. He does, and makes a small, gracious bow. And suddenly Alessia is so afraid for him. What has he done? Something terribly dangerous. An act of rebellion in itself. And he's done it for her. She remembers his words ...

"Don't worry. I always channel my emotions into my work. That way I don't hurt anyone but myself."

... and Alessia is afraid he has hurt himself beyond repair. The significance of her fiery transformation will not be lost on President Snow.

The audience, who's been stunned into silence, breaks into wild applause. Alessia can barely hear the buzzer that indicates that her three minutes are up. Caesar thanks Alessia and she goes back to her seat, her dress now feeling lighter than air.

As Alessia passes Peeta, who's headed for his interview, he doesn't meet her eyes. She takes her seat carefully, but aside from the puffs of smoke here and there, she seems unharmed, so she turns her attention to him. 

Caesar and Peeta have been a natural team since they first appeared together a year ago. Their easy give-and-take, comic timing, and ability to segue into heart-wrenching moments, like Peeta's confession of love for her, have made them a huge success with the audience. They effortlessly open with a few jokes about fires and feathers and overcooking poultry. But anyone can see Peeta is preoccupied, so Caesar directs the conversation right into the subject that's on everyone's minds.

"So, Peeta, what was it like when, after all you've been through, you found out about the Quell?" asks Caesar.

"I was in shock. I mean, one minute I'm seeing Alessia looking so beautiful in all these wedding gowns, and the next ..." Peeta trails off.

"You realized there was never going to be a wedding?" asks Caesar gently.

Peeta pauses for a long moment, as if deciding something. He looks out at the spellbound audience, then at tin floor, then finally up at Caesar. "Caesar, do you think all your friends here can keep a secret?"

An uncomfortable laugh emanates from the audience. What can he mean? Keep a secret from who? Their whole world is watching.

"I feel quite certain of it," says Caesar.

"We're already married," says Peeta quietly. The crowd reacts in astonishment, and Alessia has to bury her face in the folds of her skirt so they can't see her confusion. Where on earth is he going with this?

"But ... how can that be?" asks Caesar.

"Oh, it's not an official marriage. We didn't go to the Justice Building or anything. But we have this marriage ritual in District Twelve. I don't know what it's like in the other districts. But there's this thing we do," says Peeta, and he briefly describes the toasting.

"Were your families there?" asks Caesar.

"No, we didn't tell anyone. Not even Haymitch. But you see, we knew if we were married in the Capitol, there wouldn't be a toasting. And neither of us really wanted to wait any longer. So one day, we just did it," says Peeta. "And to us, we're more married than any piece of paper or big party could make us."