Chapter 25

When Alessia wakes, she has a brief, delicious feeling of happiness that is somehow connected with Peeta. Happiness, of course, is a complete absurdity at this point, since at the rate things are going, she'll be dead in a day. And that's the best-case scenario, if she's able to eliminate the rest of the field, including herself, and gets Peeta crowned as the winner of the Quarter Quell. Still, the sensation's so unexpected and sweet she clings to it, if only for a few moments. Before the gritty sand, the hot sun, and her itching skin demands a return to reality.

Everyone's already up and watching the descent of a parachute to the beach. Alessia joins them for another delivery of bread. It's identical to the one they received the night before. 24 rolls from District 3. That gives them 33 in all. They each take five, leaving eight in reserve. No one says. it, but eight will divide up perfectly after the next death. Somehow, in the light of day, joking about who will be around to eat rolls has lost its humor.

How long can they keep this alliance? Alessia doesn't think anyone expected the number of tributes to drop so quickly. What if she is wrong about the others protecting Peeta? If things were simply coincidental, or it's all been a strategy to win their trust to make them easy prey, or Alessia doesn't understand what's actually going on? Wait, there's no ifs about that. She doesn't understand what's going on. And if she doesn't, it's time for Peeta and her to clear out of here.

She sits next to Peeta on the sand to eat her rolls. For some reason, it's difficult to look at him. Maybe it was all that kissing last night, although the two of them kissing isn't anything new. It might not even have felt any different for him. Maybe it's knowing the brief amount of time they have left. And how they're working at such cross-purposes when it comes to who should survive these Games.

After they eat, Alessia takes his hand and tugs him toward the water. "Come on. I'll teach you how to swim." She needs to get him away from the others where they can discuss breaking away from the group. It will be tricky, because once they realize they're severing the alliance, they'll be instant targets.

She just shows him the basic stroke and lets him practice going back and forth in waist-high water. At first, she notices Johanna keeping a careful eye on the two of them, but eventually loses interest and goes to take a nap. Finnick's weaving a new net out of vines and Beetee plays with his wire. Alessia knows the time has come. 

While Peeta has been swimming, Alessia has discovered something. Her remaining scabs are starting to peel off. By gently rubbing a handful of sand up and down her arm, she cleans off the rest of the scales, revealing fresh new skin underneath.

She stops Peeta's practice, on the pretext of showing him how to rid himself of the itchy scabs, and as they scrub themselves, she brings up their escape.

"Look, the pool is down to eight. I think it's time we took off," she says under her breath, although she doubts any of the tributes can hear her. 

Peeta nods, and Alessia sees him considering her proposition. Weighing if the odds will be in their favor. "Tell you what," he says. "Let's stick around until Brutus and Enobaria are dead. I think Beetee's trying to put together some kind of trap for them now. Then, I promise, we'll go."

Alessia isn't entirely convinced. But if they leave now, they'll have two sets of adversaries after them. Maybe three, because who knows what Chaff's up to? Plus the clock to contend with. And then there's Beetee to think of. Johanna only brought him for Alessia, and if they leave, she'll surely kill him. Then Alessia remembers. She can't protect Beetee, too. There can only be one victor and it has to be Peeta. She must accept this. She must make decisions based on his survival only.

"All right," Alessia says. "We'll stay until the Careers are dead. But that's the end of it." She turns and waves to Finnick. "Hey, Finnick, come on in! We figured out how to make you pretty again!"