Monday, December 12th.

"Are you sure you can handle it?" James questions, reluctant to leave the house by himself

"Yes, I'm her mother. I can spend the day with her while you go into the office and work. You wanted me to spend more time at home with her. That's what I'm trying to do. And anyway, if it makes you feel better, we are probably going to my mother's house, so she can play with Dax." I say.

"And you've got my number in case anything happens or you have any questions?"

"Holy shit, you sound like I'm the babysitter that's never done this before. Go to work. We will get it figured out." James was frustrating me with his lack of confidence in my parenting abilities. It seems like we just couldn't get on the same page.

"Okay, fine, but please call me if you need anything. I can always come home. Most of my work can be done from here, anyway."

"Go please, enjoy a nice day working from the office. We will see you tonight for dinner." I shook my head, placing my hand on James's shoulder.

"I love you." James sighs.

"I love you too."

After a quick kiss on the lips, and a couple more hugs and exchanged glances between Hazel and James, he was finally gone.

"Are you ready to go do some shopping today?" I tickled Hazel, her tiny body scrunching forward to get away from my fingers, little giggles escaping her lips.

"Uhhmm," She nods, so proud of her response.

"Alright let's go get dressed then."

•••●•••

Hazel sat patiently in the child basket on the shopping cart. Her tiny blue dress falling in a clumped up mess around her.

"Thank goodness I put shorts on you or else you'd be showing the entire world your diaper." I tease. Hazel bobs slightly in the cart, holding onto the same handle I am. Her tiny feet were kicking with excitement.

"We need to find a good gift for your dad. Your mom isn't very good at this, and normally she'd go out on Christmas eve to find something, but it seems this year I have more time on my hands than expected."

Hazel shakes her head no, and I can only assume she's agreeing with me that I'm not very good at this kind of stuff.

Christmas music echoes in the background, adding a sense of cheer to my mood. Today felt like it was going to be a good day. The store wasn't nearly as busy as it was when I'd get my shopping done, which made it nice to be able to breathe.

I twist the cart back and forth, weaving it through the aisles. Hazel drifts from side to side, laughing with each turn.

"Here we are!" I nearly shout, a little louder than I had intended to. I look around, checking to see if anyone noticed me talking to my toddler. Heat rose to my cheeks when I made eye contact with a younger girl across the store.