Saturday, December 17th.

We spent last night watching Christmas movies until the three of us fell asleep in our fort

We spent last night watching Christmas movies until the three of us fell asleep in our fort. None of us were prepared to take it down once we built it. When the morning sun shines through the large living room windows, slowly did we start the stir.

My eyes were still shut, hoping to get just a few more minutes of sleep. Anything that would tide me over for the rest of the day. Turns out sleeping on the floor with a toddler and your husband, on minimal blankets and very few scattered pillows, wasn't good for the spine.

"Oh, my back hurts." James groans, pushing himself up off the floor, knocking his head against the broom we were using as a support beam for our fort ceiling. My eyes shot open, making contact with his. Both of us froze, hoping that the fort wouldn't collapse and Hazel would stay asleep.

Hazel was the only one that looked comfortable. She slept on her stomach with her butt in the air, curled up and sucking her thumb. I wanted to take a photo, but couldn't remember where I had put my phone last night.

Once both James and I felt comfortable that she was sound asleep, we each tried our best to stretch, just enough to wake our muscles up and to climb out from under our cover.

"Okay, note to self. I know last night we talked about having fun as a family every single day, but maybe we make it a twice a week kind of thing." I chuckle, stretching my arms out wide, feeling the muscles pull in my biceps and all the way down my back. Letting out a groan as I release all the tension. "I know we aren't that old, but apparently we are too old to be that spontaneous."

"Yeah, I think you might be a little right." James leans forward, bending at the hips to stretch his own muscles out.

"Do we have any coffee around here?" I felt like I was stumbling, my legs slipping underneath me from the lack of good quality sleep.

"Yeah, top cupboard on the left." James points to the cupboards next to the sink. My mind protests when I see I have to climb on the counter to grab the Folger can.

"Alright, I guess I'll wait." I took a step back. There was no desire in me right now to climb on the counter. I also wasn't walking all the way out to the garage to get the step stool, to grab a tub of coffee and then take the step stool back.

"I got it. Will you just get started on breakfast please?" James asks, jumping up onto the counter with no effort. I nod, dashing over to the fridge, humming Christmas songs and gathering things for breakfast.

•••●•••

James turns the car down another road, driving slowly so we can see all the lights decorating the houses. Glimmering blues and whites danced with red and green figures, scattered through yard after yard.

"Man, this must be one of the best streets yet!" I nearly shout, feeling the excitement of a child building up inside me. It's been forever since I'd gone out to look at lights.