Chapter 7: Hard No to Escargots

"You have to try it," William said, holding the dining hall door open for me and my zillion bags. "It's the best thing on the menu tonight, and it probably won't be back in the rotation for months."

"I am not eating snails," I repeated. "I don't care how good or garlicky or whatever they are. They are snails."

"Escargots," William corrected, with an annoyingly perfect French accent. "And they're delicious. I promise."

Our entrance was by no means inconspicuous, considering that most students had already finished and were sitting around chatting. JJ shouted out a greeting too, which had more heads turning our way. At the table behind his, beside Gyeong-Ja, Audra's eyes nearly popped out of her head.

"Looks like this is where I leave you," William said, burying his hands in his pockets. "Unless...you wanna come eat with us?"

My heartbeat kicked up to a gallop at the way he smiled down at me. I twisted my fingers in the straps of my sports bag. "Will I have to try the snails if I do?"

His grin bloomed into a laugh that had his hand landing on my shoulder. Something tightened in my chest when he let his fingers linger. "Yes, you will. I'll treat it like a test of how well you like my company."

"Then I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint," I said, more than a little ruefully. "Because as fun as you are to hang out with, I won't eat a snail, let alone a plate of them."

He pressed a hand to his chest. "You wound me, Ellie."

I couldn't help mirroring his smile, but I shrugged. "You could always come eat with me. But I have a strict no bugs at the table policy."

"Then I'll see you Thursday at 6," William said. "And try not to bowl anyone over in the meantime."

I stuck my tongue out at him, then realized how ridiculous that must've looked to everyone watching us. But the sound of his laugh had been worth it, and the spring it ignited in my step carried me all the way through the dinner line to my table.

"Having fun?" Gyeong-Ja asked archly, sipping her tea as I set down my tray of lasagna and caesar salad.

"Being a spectacle, more like," Audra said, inspecting her nails.

"Relax." I dug into my dinner. "He's my tutor now, so you're gonna have to get used to seeing us together."

"What?" Audra and Gyeong-Ja said at the same time, Gyeong-Ja with a huge grin, Audra with a slack jaw.

"He's my history tutor." I grinned. "Twice a week, he's all mine for an hour."

Gyeong-Ja laughed, while Audra face-palmed with a groan. "You are boy-crazy bonkers, d'you know that?"

"Yeah, yeah. I still maintain that I didn't kick a ball at his brother on purpose." I speared romaine onto my fork. "But William's actually a really good tutor, so..." I shrugged.

"Good," Audra said, "Because Coach benches anyone who isn't passing their classes, and you just made starter."

I dropped my fork. It clattered audibly against my plate. "What?"

Audra smiled and extended her phone. "She just posted the roster. Congrats, right wing defender. You'd better be at the season opener party on Friday."

"Oh, please come!" Gyeong-Ja gushed, "Audra's always too busy yelling at the guys trying to break into the liquor cabinet to hang out with me."

"I mean, I love parties," I said hesitantly, "But wasn't there some big clause in the rules about—"

"Nah," Audra waved me off. "I'll sign you out with Gyeong-Ja, say we're having a sleepover. It's the only way I've ever been able to convince this one"—she toyed with Gyeong-Ja's hair—"to leave campus after curfew."

Gyeong-Ja blushed. "My parents will kill me if I get a demerit, okay?"

"Then count me in," I said. "I'm going to get a cupcake. Want anything?"

"More tea, please," Gyeong-Ja said.

With her mug in hand, I grabbed one of the last chocolate-frosted cupcakes from the dessert table. As I replenished her tea with hot water from the carafe, my skin tingled with that feeling of being watched. I looked up and caught someone staring at me from across the room.

This time, Theo Ellerby didn't immediately look away. Instead, his eyes slid from me to the table where his brother was now holding court, then back to me. Since my hands were full, I offered him an overly bright, "I see you staring" smile instead of a wave, until he finally looked away.

**A/N: If you've read How To Rule Your High School, you know I LOVE a good, drama-filled party scene, which means there's definitely going to be at least one of those in Faking It! That said, what do you think Theo's up to? And would you have tried the escargots with William? (Confession: I have had escargots exactly once and never again haha)

As always, if you enjoyed it, please take a moment to vote and comment!**