Chapter 24: Ye Of Little Faith

I hadn't realized how poorly I'd hidden my growing annoyance until Audra let out a big sigh after lunch on Friday, just before we parted ways for class—her to physics, me to history.

"Chin up, mate," she said, play-punching my arm when Theo and Emma strode past, his arm around her shoulders the way it had once been around mine. "Ignore the wanker and focus on tomorrow's big game."

She was right, and so I did. Mr. Harris gave us another pop quiz in history, and I thanked my lucky stars that I'd had so much free time this week to actually do my chapter summaries properly. When I got to last period English, I was still riding the high of acing the pop quiz when my phone buzzed in my blazer pocket. Without meaning to, I glanced over at Theo, expecting to find him with his phone hidden beneath the desk while Mrs. Wiltshire called the class to order. Instead, his hands were folded beneath his chin as he stared at the smartboard, apparently lost in thought.

Frowning, I stealthily checked my texts and stifled a smile when the screen lit up with one from William.

I'm leaving for a leadership retreat tonight and won't be back until Monday morning. Meet me after dinner instead of Sunday?

Sure, I replied.

I was so eager to tell him how well I'd done on the pop quiz that I scarfed back my food in record time. Audra warned me against taking a second portion of fettucine alfredo, citing the game tomorrow morning and the digestive consequences of too much cheese sauce. I was too distracted to debate with her, and both she and Gyeong-Ja raised their eyebrows when I dumped my tray without getting dessert.

I had to stop from skipping to the library, and I was so early that I'd beaten William to the study room. My leg jittered as I unpacked my laptop and history textbook, and when the door opened, I whirled around, grinning like a fool.

William paused in the doorway, frowning at me. "Ellie, are—"

"I aced the quiz!" I blurted.

He blinked, as if that was the last thing he'd expected me to say, before a heart-stopping smile lit up his face. "You aced it? That's amazing, congratulations!"

This time, when he hugged me, I was able to savour the moment. His blazer lapel scratched against my cheek, but his arms closed around me in a way that had me not wanting to let go. Something tumbled around my stomach when he held on for just a little longer than he had last time.

"I...didn't expect to find you this upbeat," he said, as he settled in across from me and unpacked his things.

"Ouch, tutor," I joked, "Did you really have such little faith in me?"

"Not about the quiz." He reached across the table to rest his hand on mine, his expression serious. "I heard what happened with my brother."

My eyes hopped between his as I debated my next move. I won't lie, I resented him killing my pop quiz high with talk of Theo. But it had gotten him to hold my hand. To stroke it, actually. Because that's exactly what his thumb was doing as his eyes creased with worry at my hesitation. And if thinking that his brother had heartlessly dumped me was going to win me more special treatment, it was high time I leaned into the part I'd been so reluctant to play all week.

I gulped and managed a weak smile. "Yeah...I guess I should've listened to you, huh?"

He sighed. His hand still didn't leave mine. "You deserve so much better, Ellie."

Holding his gaze, I mustered every bit of my courage and said, "I know. It's just that I think better's already taken."

His fingers tightened. He studied my face and said, "What do you mean?"