Chapter 29: Halloween is the One Day a Year...

Text from: Jake Morris-Whittaker, 6:30 am

Ellie's Daily Reminder 40/180: Too much of anything is never a good thing

That's...cryptic?

I know you
It's almost Halloween
You're going to gorge on candy like it's your job

loll
busted 😅🤤🍫

~*~

I didn't speak to William once—not even in passing—for the rest of the week. Worse, he'd left me on read when I texted to schedule our next tutoring session. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd done something wrong, just like I couldn't shake the urge to look for him every time a group of seniors passed by. Whenever I set foot in the dining hall, he never even looked up, where once he'd waved or at least smiled. And it's not like he was scowling or moping, either. He seemed happy as a clam, talking and laughing with his friends, while I was dreading that I'd completely blown my chances.

"Relax," Theo had said more times than I could count. He said it again on Friday evening, when we were all decked out in our costume togas and sliding into his little black car. And by little, I mean small, sleek, and expensive. It definitely wasn't the beat-up, second-hand Civic that Jake had driven in high school.

"I am relaxed," I said, buckling myself in. Though I jumped when the engine roared to life with an obnoxiously loud rumble.

Theo eyed me, fighting a grin. "Whatever you say, Emdubs."

"You're not gonna drink tonight, are you?" I asked, as the streets flew past. I cast a wistful look at the turn towards Audra's, where she and Gyeong-Ja were probably halfway through their Saw marathon. Audra had agreed to sign me out again in case we missed curfew, and Theo had just laughed when I'd asked how he was going to explain away his absence.

He laughed again now, at my question, and swatted my thigh beside where his hand rested on the gear shift. "No, mom. I know better than to drink and drive. Especially with such precious cargo."

I swatted him back. "Good. Because I have absolutely no idea how to drive stick and I'd crash our sorry butts into a ditch if I had to drive us back."

He glanced sidelong at me and shifted gears to merge onto the freeway. "Any interest in learning?"

I fixed him with a look. "Sure. Let's teach me, the clumsiest girl in school, to drive stick in a car that probably costs more than I could ever afford."

"Don't hate on my ride, Emdubs. I know you love it." Then, for emphasis, he accelerated with a way-too-macho growl of the engine.

I scoffed. "It's as showy as you, Ellerby."

He grinned.

The drive flew past way too quickly, but maybe that was just because I was dreading the party. As if he could sense it, Theo distracted me with idle chatter while the light faded and the miles sped away. We debated our favorite Avengers. Which superhero would win in a fight. Which actor was the best action star. Soccer tactics and set plays. The other opponents left on the varsity girls' schedule, and which ones I'd have to watch out for.

Right before we exited the freeway, I asked him about the rest of their schedule.

He just laughed. "We've got nothing but easy wins until finals. Which is too bad, because I'd totally tank us just so we don't end up with a quarterfinal round bye. A playoff game might be the only excuse to get me out of my parents' dreaded Thanksgiving banquet."