chapter five:

ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ ƑƖƔЄ: "but with the beast inside, there's nowhere we can hide."

Rick climbs out of the tank, equipped with his colt in one hand and his omega's knife in the other. He's immediately targeted by a walker and Rick wastes no time in sinking the knife straight into his forehead. He pulls it out with a wet sound and the walker falls off the tank, flopping onto the ground. There's another walker to his side, Rick slashes her across the throat and then kicks her away. He jumps down the tank and stumbles onto the ground, falling onto his injured side like the idiot that he is.

Gritting his teeth, Rick gets back onto his feet. He slides the knife into the space between his belt and pants; it's time to rely on his gun. Rick presses a hand to his injured side and keeps heading right, just like he'd been told to. There are several walkers quickly making their way towards him and Rick raises his colt python, fires once, twice, thrice and hits all his targets straight between the eyes.

He shoots another two behind him. The walkers are flocking more and more towards him, attracted by the sound of gunshots and the smell of fresh meat. Rick hits the alley, gun still raised and finger still on the trigger-

"Woah! Not dead! Come on! Come on!"

It's the kid from the radio. Rick can tell by his voice. He's shorter than him and Asian. He also smells like a mixed bowl of some exotic fruit Rick can't put a name to. Rick follows the kid down the alley and shoots two more walkers that get a little too close to them.

"Faster! C'mon!"

The kid starts climbing the ladder attached to a side of the building and Rick follows after him, hearing his heart beating loudly in his ears. They hit a platform and settle there, leaning against the railing and both breathing heavily. Gazing down, Rick finds the whole alley filled with walkers. If they were a few seconds slower, they'd definitely be food.

The kid turns to look at Rick from underneath the brim of his cap. "Nice moves there, Clint Eastwood," he says, tone sarcastic. "You the new sheriff? Come riding in to clean up the town?"

Rick shakes his head. "Wasn't my intention."

"Yeah," the kid rolls his eyes. "Whatever. Yeehaw. You're still a dumbass."

Rick can't argue with him about that. He laughs a little and holds out his hand for a shake. "Rick," he introduces himself, "thanks."

The kid eyes his hand dumbly. Rick blinks, finally noticing the slim, soft brown collar he's wearing. There's a golden pin on the left side and Rick tilts his head consideringly. Oh, he's an omega. "S'alright," he murmurs, flashing his blue eyes alpha red momentarily, "you can shake my hand, my omega won't mind."

The kid takes his hand hesitantly. "Glenn," he says, flashing brown eyes an icy omega blue, "you're welcome." He drops his hand and peers down below them, face twisting in worry. "Oh, no," he says.

Following Glenn's line of sight, Rick understands his worry. The walkers are trying to climb the ladder after them and it looks like some of them are even succeeding.

"On the bright side," Glenn mutters, shifting further up the ladder, "it'll be the fall that kills us. I'm a glass half-full kinda guy."

With Glenn leading the way, they make it to the rooftop. They climb over a wall leading to another building and Rick spots two trucks below them, barricading an alley. There are three, no, four walkers down there.

"You the one who barricaded the alley?" Rick asks.

"Somebody did," Glenn answers. "I guess when the city got overrun. Whoever did it thought not many geeks could get through."