chapter thirteen:

Chapter Thirteen: "i know you think that you know me, but you ain't even see my dark side."

Dressed in his borrowed jeans and his omega's big zip up, Rick heads out of the tent, Ren at his heels. The weather is nice, the early morning sun shining down on them softly. The camp buzzes with quiet murmurs, the humans and wolves working together to bring a sense of community. 

"Morning!" A human greets from around the firepit. 

"Hi," Another one smiles. 

"Mornin'," Rick nods, grabbing a hold of Ren's hand and intertwining their fingers, grinning with a hint of teeth when his omega turns his head shyly away, unconsciously showing off the already darkening bite mark he has there. 

"They're still a little damp," an omega wolf says, walking up to the pair with a basket of clothes in her arms. "The sun'll have 'em dry in no time." 

Rick blinks. This must be Carol, he thinks. To be polite, he asks, "you washed our clothes?" 

"Well, best we could," Carol explains, smiling demurely, ducking her head. Her mustard yellow collar glints in the sunlight. "Scrubbing on a washboard ain't half as good as my old maytag back home." 

"That's very kind of you," says Ren, smiling softly at the older omega, "thank you." 

Carol ducks her head even further, an embarrassed flush taking over her features. "It's no problem," she says, "I like being useful." She glances at Rick and then at Ren, drawing her brows together. She visibly hesitates and then turns, waving at them as she walks away. 

"What was that about?" Ren asks, looking up at Rick.

"Dunno," says Rick, getting distracted by his omega's tanned shoulder peeking out from beneath his navy shirt. He lowers his head and allows himself to nuzzle into Ren's shoulder and neck, scenting him in the process. 

Ren turns pink all the way to the tips of his ears and avoids making eye contact. "I'm gonna go find our puppy," he says, reaching out to place his palms along Rick's chest, warm, tentative, hesitant, "c-can I get another kiss?" 

Pulse tripping, Rick finds himself struck with such fondness and adoration for his omega that he momentarily freezes.  

"It's okay if you don't want to," Ren quickly backtracks, pulling his hands away, "I'm not going to force you—" 

Rick grabs a hold of Ren's neck, firmly holding him by the back of his nape, and presses their lips together in a short, sweet kiss. His omega makes a soft, surprised noise and Rick pulls slowly and reluctantly away. 

"Is my omega satisfied now?" He teases, curling one side of his mouth into half a smile.

Ren doesn't answer, merely leans in for another warm kiss and then steps away, looking thoroughly embarrassed. "M'sorry," he says quietly, "wanted one more." 

Amused, Rick watches as Ren leaves to go find Carl, and then sets out himself to find Glenn, stopping by the edge of the quarry where all the camp's vehicles are parked. 

"Look at 'em," Glenn grumbles, visibly upset by the humans taking apart his cherry red challenger, "vultures," he scoffs, folding his arms across his chest, "yeah, go on! Strip it clean." 

Dale shrugs, not looking the least bit apologetic. "Generators need every drop of fuel they can get,'' he explains gently, "got no power without it. Sorry, Glenn." 

Glenn turns to Rick with a pout at his lips and whines like a child to a parent, "thought I'd get to drive it for at least a few more days." 

Rick bumps his shoulder against Glenn's and reaches out to right his cap. "Maybe I'll get to steal another one for you someday."