chapter twenty-one:

soooo ... it's been, like, four months since i last updated this 😐 i will absolutely not be apologising 😩 at all let's be fr out here

anyways, work had me by the thong, kids in nursery are MONSTERS 🥲 and then i had, or rather, I'm having kidney failure at the moment 🤸‍♀️ so thats fun ✨

but I'm alive 😎 and the urge to write is back so let's goooooooooo

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Chapter Twenty-One:  "but if you hold me without hurting me, you'll be the first who ever did."

The roll up doors screech, whirling down as they fall shut with an ominous sound, caging Rick and the others inside the CDC building. 

The smell of antiseptic is heavy in the air, combined with something artificial and floral, making Rick’s nose itch. He scans the entrance area around him with a narrowed gaze. The rest of the group stands just behind him, some weary, some relieved, and some on high alert.  

Rick takes a step further into the entrance area and stills, hearing soft footsteps making their way towards him. His hand hovers instantly over his colt python, ready to aim and shoot if necessary, but he pauses when a human male, tall and dressed in a lab coat, walks out from behind the corner, entering the open space slowly. 

“I mean no harm,” the human says, raising his hands in a peaceful manner. “But if you want to stay, you’ll have to submit to a blood test; that’s the price of admission.” 

Rick tilt's his head consideringly. He scents the air and catches a hint of weariness and a dash of deletable fear that makes his mouth water. The monster beneath his skin shifts, eager to kill, even though Rick murdered a herd of walkers not that long ago. 

Taking an even breath, he strains his ears for the doctor's heartbeat and finds it beating steadily, meaning he's speaking the truth about bearing no harm. Which is a shame, truly, Rick muses to himself as he moves his hand away from his colt python, intent on playing nice for now.

“We can do that,” he agrees to the admission, albeit reluctantly. It's not like he'll be staying here for long, anyways. He motions for his wolves and the humans to follow after him, and they do, hesitantly, slowly, full of caution, a little more aware of the daunting silence in the building. 

They all follow the doctor down a dark hallway and into a steel enforced elevator. After a long moment of stiff silence, the human introduces himself. “Dr. Edwin Jenner,” he says, not bothering to offer his hand for a shake. 

Rick doesn't grace him with one either. “Rick Grimes.” 

Dr. Jenner nods, standing as straight as can be, obviously nervous. Up this close he smells of sweat and undeniable fear. Swallowing audibly, the man hesitantly speaks up once more, “your brother was here just yesterday, Mr. Petrov.’’ 

“Mm, I noticed,” Ren mutters, shifting Carl a little higher onto his hip. The pup whines softly and nuzzles deeper into the older omega’s neck, seeking warmth and comfort, which he instantly gets the moment Ren gently noses at his hairline, shushing him softly. 

Rick pauses, files ‘Mr. Petrov’ into the back of his head for later, and glances at Ren, only to notice everyone else already staring at him too, flabbergasted and obviously very confused, so he speaks up, and pretends to know. 

“Well,” Rick says, watching as Ren peers up at him from beneath his dark lashes, pretty as always, “I don't think your brother was aimin’ for anythin’ other than obvious.”