Part 7

I woke up to the rising sun streaming in through the window. I felt so comfortable and warm, cuddled up on the giant's chest. He had placed his hand protectively over me while I had been asleep. I stretched and yawned, cracking my back.

"Chester? Time to wake up," I said, massaging his chest with my hands. He shifted underneath me and closed his fingers around my midsection, lifting me off his chest.

"Good morning," he yawned, raising himself up to a sitting position. He rubbed his eyes sleepily with his other hand.

"What do you want to do today?" I asked him. I was very happy with the events of the previous night and was in the mood for an adventure.

"Actually..." Chester began, "I had something in mind, but I wasn't sure what you would think about it." I looked up at him questioningly. "I know I said earlier that it wouldn't be safe for you to be around other giants. Which is still true. I was thinking I might be able to mask your scent with cologne and hide you on my person while I wore the same cologne. Then I could take you out with me, and nobody would be able to detect you. What do you think? Would you want to try it?"

I furrowed my brow and ruminated on the idea. While the plan would be risky, Chester would still be around to protect me if I were discovered. Going out sounded fun, and I really wanted to see more of the world I was in. We could go to a bookstore or library and obtain books about magic. I didn't want to stay isolated from the world for the rest of my life.

I looked up at Chester, starry-eyed with excitement, and grinned. "I want to go."

"Great!" he proclaimed. We hurriedly dressed, ate breakfast, and prepared to leave. Chester threw on a big hoodie with a roomy pocket in the front for me to hide in. He brought out the cologne, a small clear bottle full of light purple fluid.

"I'm going to have to spray this on you pretty liberally to conceal your scent, so you might want to cover your eyes and nose," Chester warned. I complied, and he drenched me in fluid, then sprayed it all over himself. I sneezed and rubbed my nose. Once the excess spray dissipated, Chester kneeled down to my level and inhaled deeply through his nose.

"I think that will work. It doesn't completely eliminate your scent, but covers it well enough." I gazed into his giant handsome face and smiled idiotically. He smiled back tenderly and grasped me in his hand, gently depositing me in the pocket in the front of his jacket. The inside of the pocket was large and soft, and I could see out the sides without feeling too exposed. I was jostled about when he started walking, but I soon adjusted to the rhythm of his gait. The weather outside was chillier than it had been the past few days, and overcast, the sun hidden behind a gloomy barrier of gray clouds. To my surprise I heard the familiar beep of a car unlocking, then the opening of a car door, and I felt a little disoriented as the giant sat down in the driver's seat.

"You have a car?" I asked, realizing how dumb the question was as soon as I spoke.

"Of course," Chester answered. "I live out in the woods. It would be too far to walk where we're going." The car engine roared to life, and I settled in against the giant's torso, appreciating the heat radiating from his body. The ride was bumpy, and lasted about twenty minutes. Eventually the car stopped.

"Where are we?" I inquired, not able to see anything from inside the pocket.

Chester opened the car door and stepped out. "We're at the market. Don't be afraid, I will keep you safe." As he started walking, I peeked out the side, and felt my heart jump into my throat. There were giants everywhere, and they were all frighteningly massive. Some of them gave Chester strange looks as he passed by, and I realized with dread they must suspect something. I retreated deeper into the pocket, hugging my legs, and started to involuntarily shake like a leaf in the wind. Chester must have felt me shaking because he reached his hand into his pocket and held me softly, petting me with his thumb in an effort to calm me down. I huddled into his hand and gripped his fingers tightly. Chester would protect me, but one wrong move and I could potentially be stolen away and eaten alive. I had already lived through that terrifying experience once, and I never wanted it to happen again. I cringed and held on to his hand tighter.

After a few minutes Chester stopped walking. His fingers encircled me and he pulled me out of his pocket, keeping me hidden inside his fist. Cautiously, he opened his hand enough so that I could see we were standing in front of a giant bookshelf full of thick tomes about magic.

"Which ones do you want?" Chester whispered, trying not to draw attention to himself. I looked over the books and pointed at a couple that interested me. Chester took them off the shelf with his free hand.

"Do you want to look around the market some more, or are you too afraid? Would you prefer to go home now?" Chester questioned under his breath.

"Let's go home," I said back quietly. "I'm frightened." Chester nodded and put me back in his jacket pocket. He went up to the counter and paid for the books I had picked out, chatting politely with the giantess at the register. As I warily peered out of the side opening, I noticed a tall, thin giant across the room staring in my direction. I didn't think he was able to see me directly, but he was fixated on my giant protector, as if he knew that Chester had a human on his person. The way he looked chilled my blood. His eyes were blue, cold as ice, and he had long blond hair pulled back neatly into a ponytail. He was gaunt and pale, with high cheekbones that gave him a haughty, aristocratic mien. He was dressed in a black coat with brass buttons, pants, and boots. He maintained his intense gaze the entire time we were in the store.

I felt rising panic in my chest, but as usual there was nothing I could do. I desperately wanted to warn Chester, but there was no way for me to communicate to him my concerns without drawing outside attention. Chester walked out of the store, books in tow, oblivious to the potential threat. I couldn't see if the giant man was following us or not. I rocked back and forth with anxiety. I wanted to look out but was too afraid of being seen by other giants as Chester strolled through the crowd. Eventually, Chester made his way to the parking lot, which was mostly deserted. I thought this might be a good opportunity to warn him.

"Chester!" I hissed, trying to get his attention as quietly as I could. "Chester! I think someone might be following us!"

Chester stopped in his tracks and stiffened. He turned around to survey his surroundings. Before he could do anything, however, something crashed into his head. With a grunt, he dropped like a stone to the pavement. He landed on his back so I wasn't crushed under his body. Although I was not harmed, I was too stunned to react. An ominous shadow loomed overhead. I stayed in my hiding place, a wave of terror washing over me. Someone was roughly searching his body, rifling through his clothes. Suddenly, a giant bony hand snaked into the jacket pocket and bumped into me. I yelped and tried to dash away, but the hand was much faster and violently grabbed me. I screamed as I was ripped out of the pocket and into the cold air.

The terrifying giant that had been watching us earlier was crouching over me, his face contorted into rage. When he saw the prize he had snagged, he flashed me a vicious grin, revealing gleaming white teeth. He was inconceivably massive, even taller than Chester, and I realized immediately I was in serious danger as I struggled fruitlessly in his tight grip.

"Chester!" I shrieked. "Help me!" I glanced back to see his head covered in blood, eyes closed, flat on his back. The other giant tightened his grip, causing me to cry out in pain. His hands had none of the gentleness that Chester's possessed.

"Finally!" the cruel giant declared. "I have my own human!" He stood up to his full height and brought me close to his face to get a better look. I started to cry. My tears only seemed to amuse him. His cold blue eyes ogled me in a way that made my skin crawl.

"Please... let me go," I pleaded, gasping for breath. "You're hurting me."

He ignored my supplications, shoving me into his coat pocket and striding off.