Utopia in the Stars

This was a writing prompt for English Class.

What is the Brightfields?

Some mongooses imagine a starry prairie, with the galaxy up ahead. Others imagine a sunny sky, the birds chirping, and the pleasant scent of flowers and berries. Some call it "paradise," "heavenly," or perhaps "Utopia."

All we know, as the living, is that The Brightfields is the afterlife where most mongooses go. As well as a mix of some other animals, such as otters, stoats, fishers, weasels, and meerkats. A lot of them live in peace, just like we do in the Paradise Place territory.

Who is the creator of this Utopia?

Her name is Bright. I have met her. She is a mongoose who appears as a misty, glowing cloud, yet her outline is as clear as a crystal. Her smile is sweet, and she scents of fog in the spring after a fresh rain.

She created the Brightfields, right from her own mind. A seemingly endless landscape, with prairies, meadows, forests, deserts, streams, rivers, and oceans. She is referred to as "The goddess of the Brightfields."

But you know, she was alive at one point. She was an ordinary mongoose, just like you and me. She lived hundreds of years ago. She walked a place called "the savannah," a much more dry and dangerous place then here. But her soul had power. When she died, and defeated her evil brother in the afterlife, she realized she could shape landscapes with her mind.

Her brother's name? Dark. was destroying souls of many warm spirits, the good spirits of the afterlife. Some referred to this old afterlife as "the starry void." The ground was dark and damp, but spirits lived there for eternity. But when Dark and his followers, the cold spirits, destroyed countless warm spirt souls, bright knew she had to make a change.

Even losing dozens of warm spirits, they still outnumbered Dark. And he was send to a dark, endless void of forest and trees. While they had peaceful flowing streams and a few other nice things, it was still chilly and lonely. Bright took away the view of the stars. Dark called this place "The Darkplace."

Now, the Brightfields is mysterious. And the Brightfields is only real to those who believe. The spirits know when you believe. It warms their hearts. And when you die, they'll come to take you home. To the peaceful Utopia that is the Brightfields.