History remembers names

Rhaenyra sat in the solar of her chambers, massaging her temples. A massive headache was slowly beginning to form in her head. How much was Criston Cole of a variable in her otherwise carefully laid out plans?

She had known from her dream that getting entangled with the knight of the kingsguard would only birth her a bitter foe and that was precisely the reason why she did not deign to engage in a romantic liaison with Criston. Sure, at some point when the initial fear of the future waned, she found him attractive. But the abundance of caution led her to steer clear of Criston. Nonetheless, she found value in him so she decided to keep him near, but not too close.

The misfortune that befell Laenor's lover was an unexpected outcome as Rhaenyra had convinced herself that by avoiding Criston, any of the disaster connected to him that should befell her afterwards would be averted. Regrettably, any perfectly laid out plans were always at the mercy of the whims of the gods. The Stranger himself had other plans in mind.

As for Laenor Velaryon, he would not see the end of the moon-long celebration of his wedding. Post-trial by combat and after laying Joffrey to rest, Laenor mounted Seasmoke and headed back to Driftmark. The Seasnake and Princess Rhaenys would endlessly extend their apologies to the king for Laenor's unceremonious departure. The king was wroth at the turn of the events yet he knew, it was no fault of the Velaryons. He decided, at Rhaenyra's urging, that the feasts should continue. There was no reason to punish the smallfolk as well for an internal matter. And so, the feast carried on without the presence of the groom.

Rhaenyra, on the other hand, however, would not rest until she learned the truth of what happened on that fateful match. In one of her incognito visits in the city, she dispatched Mysaria to uncover the events that led to the demise of Joffrey Lonmouth. She could have just gone straight to Ser Criston to ask for the truth but she thought of investigating first; to see whether Criston would be truthful or at least, the version of events would corroborate each other.

It didn't take long for the White Worm to gather the needed information and soon Rhaenyra would receive what she wanted.

"Two eyes disclose that the Knight of Kisses approached the White Knight before their match. He was talking to him discreetly while the latter remained silent all throughout. As to what their conversation contained, no one knows. But several were in agreement that post-conversation, the White Knight was displeased. He knocked down an armory of weapons on his way to the field."

It was all the information Rhaenyra needed to form a hypothesis. She thanked Lady Misery and handed her three dragons for the information she provided. On the morrow, she would get the full details from Ser Criston himself.

"You wished to see me, princess." Ser Criston said upon entering the solar of Rhaenyra's chambers.

Rhaenyra was standing in front of the window overlooking the city. As she turned to face the White Knight, streaks of the morning sun crossed her face, brightening her already ethereal features.

"Take a seat, Ser Criston. Be at ease." Rhaenyra motioned at the cushion-laden couch. Criston complied.

"What passed between you and the late Ser Joffrey?"

Rhaenyra no longer prevaricated. Her question, however, was met with silence. Nonetheless, she waited patiently for Ser Criston's reply.

"The matter has already been settled, princess."

"As I am well aware, Ser Criston. Yet I wish to know the complete truth that has now been buried under your victory in combat."

"I do not wish to speak of it, princess."