Chapter Thirteen

Ruby felt the random need to find her sister

Ruby felt the random need to find her sister. Her magic was warning her of something. Before Xavier could leave, she stopped him.

"Something's wrong with Wednesday. She's in danger." She grabbed her coat and a little bag full of protection crystals.

"Woah woah woah, where are you going?" He rushed out.

She looked at him as if it was obvious, "I'm going to save my sister."

"Well I'm not letting you go alone."

They ran to Wednesday and Enid's room to find Thing. He told them where the girls had gone. The two teenagers quickly made their way to the Gates Mansion. They were a bit too late as they arrived to see Tyler sat against the wall on the porch with Wednesday holding her hands over the claw marks on his chest, and Enid stood over them. Xavier took off his scarf and gave it to Wednesday to soak up the blood.

Ruby crouched down and did a small healing spell just to stop the bleeding. She was already quite drained from the day and her full powers coming was a tiring time, so she couldn't do much to help without losing all of her own energy. (a/n: poor ruby healing the monster)

They took Tyler home and Wednesday cleaned him up. She was putting small medical tape along the gashes when Sheriff Galpin walked in. "What the hell happened? This was you, wasn't it?"

Tyler stood, "Wait, Dad, please. I'm okay."

"Sheriff, I understand you're upset, but I think you need to see something."

The group was brought back to the school while Wednesday was with the sheriff. They were all in trouble, and Ruby repeatedly apologized to Xavier, she was the one who wanted to leave, and he followed along.

"Red, stop apologizing, you just wanted to save your sister, you didn't even make me go with you, I chose to go. It's not even your fault that you got in trouble either. She's the one who put herself in that position, you were just trying to help her." He pulled her into a tight hug. When they let go, he had his hands on her shoulders, "Now we both have to go to bed. I hope your birthday was great, goodnight." He pressed a kiss to her lips, and then her forehead, and walked off to his dorm.

She stood there for a moment, just watching as he left, and smiled softly. It was great. Despite the end of the night.

Everyone was mad at Wednesday, she had gotten Xavier, Enid, and Ruby in trouble. Enid had moved into Yoko's room, and she sat with them at breakfast the morning after the twins' birthday.

Enid did mention that Wednesday had told her they would be spared from punishment, she had taken the blame.

Principal Weems had made an announcement at lunch, Mayor Walker had passed away overnight. They would all be attending the funeral in a few days.

During the time between, Enid stilled roomed with Yoko, and joined them in their fun, the Nightshades met, and spoke about how they might be able to help with the monster if Principal Weems asked them to, which Divina and Kent reported to her that they would help in any way they could. Bianca comforted Lucas about his father's death, Xavier and Ruby stayed cooped up in her dorm a lot, and he showed her his art studio. He explained how he had terrible visions and dreams of the monster, she offered to help him in trying to figure out their meaning, and make them go away. They dug through her grimoires and spellbooks, they spent a fair amount of time searching in the library, both the Nightshade one and the Nevermore one, for a way to find out what the monster might be, and what they could do to help. Throughout that whole time, they all avoided Wednesday at all costs.

On the day of the wake, Ruby was in the Nightshade library alone, still looking for answers, when the Poe statue moved, alerting her of someone's presence. In came Wednesday and their Uncle Fester.

"Uncle Fester? What are you doing here?" she ran up and straight into his open arms. "Seriously, what are you doing here?" She asked as she turned to Wednesday, "You know you're not allowed in here, you're not a Nightshade."

"Well what are you doing here?"

"I stayed behind after our meeting to clean up and look for a spellbook." She gave up dealing with her, "You know what? I don't care why you're here, I'm not getting stuck in the middle of whatever you're doing, it's only messed things up for me. Don't take anything from her, and don't make a mess, I was the last one here, and again, I'm not taking the fall for something you did." With that, Ruby said goodbye to her uncle, and left with one of the books she had been looking at.

She stayed in her dorm the whole night after, she did get a text from Kent, their resident gossip, who told her that Enid filed a request to be Yoko's permanent roommate.

The next day, Xavier called Ruby to tell her he couldn't make it to their date, he forgot he had a therapy appointment. His dad didn't want the fact that his son was going to therapy to damage his reputation, so he met with Dr. Kinbott in a private location.

On his way there, he called Ruby, "Hey, I forgot I have a meeting with Dr. Kinbott, so I can't make it, but I did want to let you know that Wednesday was snooping around my shed, and I don't know, she thinks I'm the monster in the woods, she said, 'I know what you are.'"

"Are you kidding me? I don't know if she's noticed, but almost every time there was an attack, you were with me, or our friends. I seriously don't know what her problem is. I'm sorry she's stuck on this theory. You don't deserve it."

He told her to stop apologizing for her sister's actions, apologized for not being able to have their date, and then said goodbye when he got to his meeting place.

A few hours after getting off the phone with Xavier, Ruby had a bad feeling. This time it wasn't Wednesday that was in danger, but Thing. The girl followed the feeling and found herself at the beekeeper's club shed. She rushed in to see her Uncle Fester zapping a bloody Thing back to life.

"Oh my god. Thing! Watch out, let me see if I can do something."

She tried a few healing spells, but they only helped with blood, and sealing of the wound. It didn't bring him back. Wednesday yelled at Fester to try again, and grabbed her sister's hand for comfort. Despite the severity of the situation, Ruby noticed, and was shocked. Her sister had never made contact with her unless it was an accident.

Fester finally brought Thing back, and Wednesday vowed to avenge him.

The next day, Dr. Kinbott was dead. Bianca had told Ruby that she and Lucas gave Wednesday information for her case, but only because it would help Lucas find out who killed his father.

Ruby and her friends were sitting at the Weathervane, Xavier had wanted to stay behind to spend some time in his studio, but the group was curious when they saw multiple police cars return after leaving a little while earlier. They all ran out when they saw that Xavier was in hand cuffs and had a chain around his neck.

Ruby was having a terrible deja vu moment, it was just like when her innocent father was arrested just a week or so earlier.