The Scots Take York

SECOND STANZA, VERSE V

If Francis wanted this war to end, he'd need allies. The enemy simply held too much territory. Flanders didn't count for much as the lord of that territory and the independent duchy of Burgundy, Charles, was too preoccupied with his planned ascension to hegemon of Europe. That man was trouble. But if he was indisposed, who else would be willing to join the fight?

Francis visited Dublin to see the Duke of Ireland. Both men sat in a modest hall, sitting at opposite ends of a small table. "Our peoples share a kindred history of being trodden upon by the English. Will you not join your Celtic brothers in open rebellion?" started Francis.

"You speak the truth but my kind has already suffered too much. We must remain on friendly terms as brethren realms but what you ask is beyond my capabilities. I'm sorry to shun a guest who so recently arrived, but I must ask you to leave. Neutrality is paramount to the island's wellbeing, and your continued presence is a threat to that. Appearances must be kept, so we must appear to support our liege and mask our indifference."

Both got up and left in opposite directions. The next destination was Scotland, a historic rival of England. "Give us trading rights in the North Sea and protection from outside threats, and it will be done in six months' time." Sure enough, in December of 1514, the Scottish dragoons stormed southward toward Northumbria. Few expected such an incursion and fewer lived to tell the tale. By the end of the year, the Scots had taken York.