Seeing Double

PENULTIMATE STANZA, VERSE I

Up to this point in the manuscript I have avoided my part in the narrative. I am Samuel, named so not by my parents but by Francis. At the age of fourteen I offered this book to him, but he insisted I use it to tell my own story. What story was there to tell? I hated thinking about myself and still do to an extent. But to tell his story I must tell my own for both tales have become inexorably linked.

It was sometime in the early 30s when I set out to establish diplomatic ties in the south. Directly bordering us was Lower France, ostensibly the same kingdom founded in 843. Mostly it served as a buffer state for the English, even having a Welsh dynasty in power. It wasn't worth engaging in diplomacy with such figureheads.

Beneath that lied Upper France, the last bastion of Capetian influence. The House of Marseille ruled from the eponymous city, planning its conquest of the whole of Francia. It had potential to become a strong ally. Already the king had brought the other southern warlords to heel. In any case, tying the country down in an alliance would prevent conflict from breaking out.

During my stay I met someone who is now very close to me. I will not divulge most details for it is a highly personal matter. What I will tell of is our marriage which brought two kindred souls together and secured a defensive pact between our nations. Francis was there, and was always very supportive of me.