Chapter 4

Valdis sat quietly on top of another roof still able to hear the conversation of her friends below. Hild was looking at his wounded arm. She silently listened to them bicker about who should get Dunholm. She didn't care for it. "Where is Sihtric." Her eyes glanced over as she laid back on the roof with her eyes looking up at the stars. Her brother's words were more demanding then asking.

"Should you not ask his wife?" Aethelwold spoke knowingly getting under their skin. "She is not his wife. She is her own woman and it's not her job to keep track of him." Finan spoke simply as he took a bite of his bread causing the others to look at him. "Then where is she?" Uhtred asked Finan with a curious gaze.

"Probably up a tree or on a house. I don't blame her. It's quiet up there. Gives her time to think without any of you lot yapping in her ear." Finan defended as he glanced up at the roof above them knowing exactly where she was. She sighed deeply closing her eyes. But they snapped open again at Ragnar's words.

"Do you know of her oath?" Ragnar knew if Finan knew of her oath then she trusted him. "We are bound to those who with we share blood. We are bound to those who with we spill blood. We are bound to those who with we bleed." Finan spoke the words he remembered her saying. "People just believe they are words she says. But each part of her oath has a meaning."

Valdis didn't mind him telling them as she trusted most of them. "The first part referenced you and Thyra. The second part referenced are meant for Erik and Sigefrid. And the last part referenced us. The men who fight by her side and defend her when's she knocked down." Finan spoke as he remembered one of their late-night conversations. 

"Now if you will excuse me, I have a very lovely lady who I hope doesn't kill me for calling her a lady to talk to." Valdis smiled at Finan's words as he soon joins her on top of the roof. He gently grabbed the arrow from her hand with a small smile. "What scares me in knowing you could kill me with these like it's nothing."

Valdis laughed lightly as she went to respond but heard Sihtric's voice. "You lied to me." Uhtred spoke as Valdis shot up to sit upright glancing over the roof. Sihtric began stuttering in defense. "You told me Dunholm has no weaknesses. Yet last time I was there, I saw a door along the east wall."

"You put my sister at risk?" Ragnar spoke angrily as Valdis looked at with a frown. "Valdis, what will you do?" Finan asked as he watched her change in posture. "I would not be bringing an army through it." Uhtred decided as Valdis glanced at Finan. "For the first time in my life, I don't know."

Finan could see this was new for her. All of it. He gently grabbed her hand. "Then let us make an oath to each other." Finan spoke as she watched him curiously. "I will fight for you; you shall fight for me. I will die for you, if you wont let me bleed." He spoke softly as she smiled softly and nodded as they rested their heads against each other. 

"I will protect you Valdis, until my last breath. I swear this to you. My loyalty is yours." Finan made the decision long ago he would follow her. He just is now saying it out loud. She nodded silently. "And I you Finan." They pulled away from each other but continued to lay on the roof a little longer they would attack tomorrow night. So, they just talked.

}------------------------------------------------{

Valdis stayed close to Ragnar as she already decided she would fight with him. "This is where we part. We will show ourselves only when we know the east door has been opened." Ragnar spoke to Uhtred. "Then it is up to you to save us. We will be lambs to the slaughter." Valdis breathed nervously. 

"Finan." She spoke softly as he quickly made his way over to her ignoring the looks from the others as he rested his head against hers and held her hands tightly in his against his chest. Whispering their oath to one another. "I will fight for you; you shall fight for me. I will die for you, if you won't let me bleed." He whispered softly towards her.