Alejandra Vespera

September 7th, 8758:

On an enclosed street shelved underneath a megabuilding, a group of children are playing. They're playing a game called 'Grav-ball', where they wear gloves with low gravitational force able to steal the opponent's ball. They then throw the ball into one of three rings. A young girl stands at the side of the street, watching them play. She has swarthy skin and short black hair. She looks unsure while holding her right arm which is underdeveloped. She wants to play but is very shy. Her older sister comes over to talk to her.

"You should go and ask them if you can play with them."

"I'm gonna," she replies quietly. "I just haven't figured out what I'm going to say yet."

"It'll be fine, Alej. The worst they can say is no."

Alejandra seems sceptical, but musters up the courage to approach them. The boys and girls playing see her approach and stop playing.

"Hey," says the boy holding the grav-ball. He is visibly uncomfortable in her presence.

"I was wondering if I could play too."

"Ehh," says the kid looking at his friends. Alejandra remains looking at them in hopes to play. "Are you even able to play? Your arm's all funny."

Alej gasps that he would say that. "I can be a keeper, can't I?"

"Probably not. You'll need both arms to play."

Alej starts to tear up. A girl team player then says, "Yeah, both arms. You'll make us lose the game."

Alejanddra turns around, running away with her eyes streaming with tears.

#

Alejandra's big sister, Daniela, walks into their shared bedroom to comfort her.

"Alej?"

"Go away."

"C'mon, hermana. It's okay."

"You said the worst they'd say is no," she sobs into her pillow.

"I know I did. I'm sorry. But forget them. They're not even cool."

"They were so mean."

"They were. They're just a bunch of big butt-heads."

"The biggest."

Dani sits there resting her hand on Alej's back while she continues to sob.

"Don't let them get you down," she says. "There's always gonna be big butt-heads. It's only if we let their stupid words get to us, they win."

Alejandra lifts her head from the pillow and looks at Daniela.

"And us Vespera's are winners. That's what madre always tells us, right?"

"Right."

"Remember, if they've got nothing nice to say, it doesn't matter."

"Okay," replies Alej, rubbing her eyes. Daniela then leans in to hug her little sister.

"I'll always have your back, okay?"

Alej nods into Daniela's shoulder.

#

July 23rd, 8768:

Alejandra is now 17. She comes into the bedroom she shares with her older sister who is now 21. She is excited to tell her the news.

"Daniela! Guess what?!"

"What?"

Daniela has cybernetic augments built into her face. She has a reinforced nose and cheekbones. She tends to get into a lot of fights.