Truce and Truth

Rift is relaxing with Aliz at her apartment looking after Roana. He is on his phone mindlessly scrolling while they talk.

"I was thinking about getting a pet," she says.

"A pet? Why?"

"You know, for Roana. I think it would be nice for her to have someone to play with. She gets lonely and I only have the energy for so much."

"Okay, so like what did you have in mind?"

"I dunno. Something small like a hedgehog, or a rabbit. Or maybe even a real puppy."

"Aliz, you know how expensive legit puppies are? Besides, they'll have too many health problems."

"Yeah, I know."

"I think a rabbit is a good choice. Hedgehogs will get her pricked."

"True."

"And they're way cheaper. They won't need much pet insurance, as they're genetically modified."

Suddenly someone walks into the apartment. Both Aliz and Rift look at each other in confusion as they thought they locked the door. From the living room, they see Dusk enter the premises. Rift jumps out of the seat, putting himself between her and the other two.

"What're you doing here?" he asks cautiously but sternly.

"I want to talk," she replies, lowering her hood.

"You wanna talk? I highly doubt that. Aliz, take Ana to the other room and bar the door. Aliz immediately does as he says, lifting Roana off the floor.

She is confused, asking, "Uncle Ronan, who is that?"

"Just a saleswoman, Ana, she'll be leaving very soon."

Aliz can be heard closing the door and moving furniture in front of the door.

"I'm sorry to confront you here in your safehouse, but I can't have Red Sun intervening. He threatened to kill me."

"As he should. There is a kid here. What the hell are you doing?"

"I didn't know about the child. Please, this is important."

"You've got ten seconds to explain yourself before I kick you into a different reality."

Dusk then says, "It's about ZoiTech. I have intelligence regarding their experiments and government ties with my superiors. I'm putting myself in danger coming here."

Rift stands there, thinking. He lowers his arm and says, "Okay, you've got my attention."

"You said a lot had happened since I questioned you about them. Tell me what you've learned."

"Oh, so you're interrogating me again?"

"No, I'm trying to learn more about this threat. You clearly have first hand experience. So, please, enlighten me."

Rift seems unsure, but takes into account she is pleading for his assistance.

"Sit, and I'll tell you, but I swear if you try anything–"

"I won't."

She then sits down on the sofa to listen to Rift. He sits back down as well.

"It started when I ran into Outlet, the masked one. He attacked me out of the blue, but I managed to defeat him. Then another one of their, let's say, assets attacked me. I was able to defeat it too. It led me back to ZoiTech's facility. There I discovered heinous plans of mass genocide against a sixth of the city's population. I stopped it, I think... I hope."