𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐲

Adrianna is laying on her bed, with her face buried in the pillow. Her mom appears in the door frame. 

"Honey, I know how you feel. But you have to get out of bed. It's nearly 2pm!"

Adrianna groans. "Please, Mom. No."

Her mom gives an understanding smile. "Baby, it's not good for you to lay in bed all day. I understand what happened, but maybe hanging out with friends or eating some breakfast will do you a ton of good."

"I don't want to."

"Ok, sweetie," Adrianna's mom says dejectedly, knowing there's nothing she can do to help. "I'm sorry."

A little while later, Adrianna's phone rings.

"Hello...?" Adrianna says.

Hey, girl! Are we still on to hang out today? It's Olivia. One of Adrianna's best friends. 

"Oh... I forgot."

Ok, well that's okay! You still have time to get ready.

"Nah, Liv, I'm sorry," Adrianna sighs. "I don't feel like coming over today."

What's wrong, Adri? You're never like this.

Adrianna can't take it anymore. She blurts, "Gavin and I broke up."

Omg, stop joking around! Did Gav put you up to this?

"Liv, I'm being serious. We broke up."

W-what? How??

"He was... cheating on me." Adrianna winces, the memories flooding her brain once again, reminding her of what happened.

Gav?? He would not do that.

Adrianna makes a face. "Yeah, well, he did, Livia... Look, I don't really want to talk about this anymore. I'm sorry. We can hang out soon."

Yeah, totally. Just feel better first. I love you

"Love you more." Adrianna hangs up, throws the phone on her bed, and falls back onto the pillow.

A little bit later in the day, Adrianna decides to call Michael, who is probably Adrianna's closest guy friend.

"Hi, Michael."

Heyy, Adri. What's up?

Adrianna winces once again. "Uhm. Well. Gavin and I... I broke up with Gavin."

Yikes... why?

"He cheated on me."

WHAT? With who?

"That girl. Alya." She rolls her eyes at the mention of her replacement.

Soooo... how did you break up with him?!

"Look, Michael, I didn't call you to talk bad about Gavin." Adrianna puts her head in her hands. "I just wanted a support person."

Right. I'm sorry.

Michael and Adrianna continue to talk for a bit more about the break-up and how Adrianna is feeling right now. After a while, they get ready to hang up.

Uh, before you go... I just wanted to ask... are you free tonight?

Adrianna is shocked into silence. How in the world could Michael ask such a thing? Is it purely platonic? Or...?

For like, dinner...?

"Um, no, not really."

Oh, ok, great, thanks. Bye!

Michael abruptly hangs up. What the hell was that about? Why was he being so weird?