Chapter 1

Lilac Boone slips out her window without a sound.

It's like clockwork. Every Friday night Clay, Lilac's older brother, always goes out partying and comes home plastered, bringing home a new girl every weekend without thinking how Lilac would feel. So as always Lilac calls up her best friend Rowan May. Rowan immediately answers knowing it's a Friday night. Rowan hates Clay for always putting his sexual needs above his little sister, its disgusting. As they talk on the phone Rowan simply says the door is unlocked as they end the call. Lilac gets into her car and makes her way to Rowan house that is only a couple blocks away. When Lilac finally gets there she walks into the house like she owns the place and makes herself at home next to Rowan's father 'Ezra'. Lilac didn't have great parents growing up, her father left right after she was born and her mom is a druggy. So basically she became a daughter to the May family. As Rowan came downstairs after hearing the front door close so came and sat next to Lilac as they watched TV with the family. It was quiet, peaceful...no one ever questioned why Lilac came over because they all knew.

Rowan and Lilac fell asleep on the couch that night as they usually do on Friday nights. When Rowan woke up on the couch, she looked over to see Lilac passed out on the smaller couch. She giggled at the sight of Lilac asleep with her mouth wide open. As she picks up her phone and turns it over to check the time that reads 9 a.m. As she grunts at the gross thought of how early she woke up, she lays back down and tries to fall back asleep.

RING! RING! RING!

Lilac jumps up from her slumber, not even a heartbeat later Rowan does the same thing. They both shared a look knowing what was coming. It was Lilac's phone going off. Both girls were still half asleep as they searched for the blaring ringtone.

"Found it!" screamed Rowan as she threw Lilac's phone to her.

"Ugh, it's Clay," Lilac complains as she answers her phone.

"No surprise there," Rowans says.

Rowan knows all too well how this conversation will go, it happens almost every week. She has no clue how Clay hasn't caught on yet as she rolls her eyes. Rowan lays back down to watch as the dramatic scene of Clay plays out in front of her.

"Yes, Clay?" Lilac says in an annoyed tone. He woke her up at 11am and she wasn't pleased.

"WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU LIL! I WOKE UP, WENT INTO YOUR ROOM TO CHECK ON YOU AND YOU WERE NOT IN YOUR ROOM!!" Clay all but roars at his baby sister.

Lilacs sighs. She knew this conversation was coming like it always does. "I am at Rowans, I came here last night" Lilac says in a light voice. She hates upsetting her brother.

Rowan stares at Lilac seeing the way her expression changed. She hated the way Clay made her feel. So finally Rowan decided to need to say something for once. She got in the middle of a Boone sibling fight.

Rowan snags the phone out of Lilac's hand and chews Clay a new one. "Clay, for fuck's sake give her a break. I understand your concern but why the fuck do you always call her and start a fight, cant you have a civil conversation, like god damn bro. Chill the fuck out. She is safe , that's all that matters," Rowan all but roared back at Clay.

"She is MY BABY SISTER, GODDAMMIT! You have no right to walk into her life and have a say in the matter. You keep your nose out of our life. So you tell her to get her ass home right now or so help me God, I will drive my ass up there and drag her out tooth and nail if I have too" Clay says seriously back. Everyone knows how Clay is about Lilac, he may seem like a shitty brother but when it comes to the safety of his baby sister he would rain hell fire to anyone who stood in his way. It was the only thing those two ever agreed on.

"Clay, you are being dramatic. Lilac is staying at my house this weekend. Like every other weekend, for reasons you know. So get your panties out of the twist and chill the fuck out." Rowan says aggressively but softly.

"Listen, if she is not home in the next hour, I will come and I will personally take Lilac home. She does not need to come to your house, especially without me knowing. You have only caused more problems in her life. I get that you two have been friends for God knows how long. But it needs to stop. Lilac is a big girl now and needs to understand that she can't come running to you every time she doesn't like something I do," Clay says with a sigh.

Little did the two know, Lilac heard everything her brother said. She knew deep down she needed to stop running to Rowan's every time Clay did something she didn't like but at the same time it's the only thing she looks forward to on the weekends. After the two finish their bickering, She decides to take the safe option and to save them both from Clay wrath she takes her phone from Rowan and says to Clay;

"Give me 20 and I will be home" Lilac said with a sigh. She hangs up the phone before Clay could even respond.

Both the girls shares a look as Rowan sighs and lays back down. Clay has freaked out in the past but never this bad. He has never threatened their friendship, ever. Which concerned Lilac. Clay has the power to never let either of them see each other again. He would have one hell of a job but he could do it. Just to prove a point.

Lilac sat back on the couch, in silence. Neither of them wanted Lilac to leave. Rowan wanted her to stay and to have Lilac prove a point to Clay. After a while Rowan watched as Lilac walked out the door.