𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟔

"Uh, miss, are you supposed to be in here?" An agent of SHIELD questioned out of nowhere, judging you by your clothes since you kind of didn't change to a much decent one, or maybe you could've put on some janitors clothes or anything to give you some sort of fake identity, but you didn't think that'd be necessary, so you just ignored the guy and continued your way to the exclusive 'kitchen' area to grab a tub of vanilla ice cream and a spoon, before going back to your journey.

On that said journey, you were simply walking arounr the halls of the place you once grew up with — where everything started that changed your life in a mere second, and honestly, you did not think you'd be back here roaming again... not too soon atleast.

"Y/N?" A feminine voice called out from behind you and you spun around to look at them. Oh,no. It was Wanda

Immediately plastering a small smile, she started approaching you. "Hey, it's been months, how have you been?" She was extra cheery today, despite her question. So you just offered her a smile and summoned your thumb to show her an 'okay' gesture, before slowly turning your body back to your route.

You needed to lose her and avoid any conversations in your way so that less people would know about your condition, Natasha's already getting sketchy about it, you did not want anymore people getting involved.

But, "I can read minds, you still know that right?" She was still walking behind you, not giving you a chance to let go out of her sight. "Alright, Fury sent me to watch over you," She sighed, knowing she shouldn't have said this kind of information but it was the onlu way she'd get your attention and you did, turning around once more to look at her with a crease between your eyebrows.

"Why?" You mustered up, voice coming out raspy as you ignored the pain in your throat. "I don't need a baby sitter," you added, taking Wanda aback, since she was given a background ran up about your condition 'not able to talk', clearly whoever explained it to her didn't give her the full lecture.

"You can talk?" She retorted and you pulled away from staring at her to looking away.

"No, and you didn't hear anything," you warned, walking away again, and finally Wanda didn't trail behind, instead she stood there still processing what just happened.

Clenching your jaw, you hissed as the pain in your throat became a little harsh, so you scooped another vanilla ice cream and put it in your mouth.

An hour later, you were at the restroom, checking yourself in a mirror juat above the many sinks, when suddenly a figure appeared from the door. Moving your eyes up on the mirror, Natasha's reflection was seen.

Arching an eyebrow, as a way to ask what she was doing here seeing as you already figured that she wasn't here to do her thing, instead she was here for you.

"Still not talking?" Your eyes dared to falter at her question but you didn't let them, fixating it to the redhead only. Rolling her eyes impatiently, "Fury's waiting for you in his office." She informed and you nodded.

Avoiding her gaze on your way out, she was quick to pull you back in one pull, as she held your forearm in the palm of her hand, the cold contact sending shivers down your spine as your eyes suddenly looked up at hers. You felt deja vu from when you guys were at your apartment somewhere in Budapest.

There is no way you'd be able to get out of her trap now, and from the looks of it and from the cold food that you've consumed, your vocal cords might have suffered a little too much by now.

She hardened her look on you, eyebrows almost creasing as if to show that she's getting impatient, but still you had no intentions of talking even if it takes you whole day standing there with her, not a word or let alone a sound escape from your mouth.

But then, the longer you stared at her far morethan she did, her grip suddenly loosens and your breath hitched in relief when she stepped back a moment after that, realizing that maybe she was being a little too harsh on you. So, you left, without missing her footsteps behind, refusing to leave you out of her sight for as long as she's not needed anywhere else important.

You didn't knock as you strolled in Fury's office, still not learning from the last time that you did that.

"What took you so long?" Fury asked straight to the point.

Since Natasha was in the room with the both of you, you wanted to act that you're fine and that you can talk, but you couldn't, no choice, you shrugged, nodding your head at Natasha's direction as to tell him the reason why.

"Really, Agent Romanoff?" Fury arched an eyebrow toward her, with a slight grimace on his voice.

Rolling her eyes. "It's not that big of a deal," she mumbled enough for the both of you to hear. "I just asked her a question, that's all."

"Did she give you an answer?" He shot back.

Her jaw clenched again, eyes glancing at you for a moment before shifting back to the Directors'. "No, she didn't."

"Why do you think is that?"

"Because, I think she's not ready," she gave a quick answer.

"Do you honestly believe that?"

You suddenly glared at your the man before you, a look of astonishment without havibg any idea he'd actually pull that off infront of her... and you.

"Dad," you interjected, voice sounding raspy while you tried your best not to hiss at the sudden movement of your throat. With that, Natasha looked at you, eyes wide.

"You're both dismissed," the balls of him to say that. "I trust you Agent Romanoff that you'll bring my daughter back home safely," he added, staring directly at Natasha.

"You want me to drive her back home?" Natasha asked for a rather another confirmation if she actually heard that right.

"Unless you want to swim her back home," He sarcastically remarked and you scoffed, sick of those dad jokes.

"Of course, sir," She addressed, waiting for you to step out first before she followed behind you — no walked next to you.

─━  ⑅  ⴵ  ⑅  ━─