Chapter 1

"Nurse Reynolds you have a phone call on line 2. Take a break, you need it." Brian paged me. I smiled at his concern but sighed. I knew who the phone call was from. I didn't know many people, just my friend Brian who was a nurse at Northfield hospital, Minnesota alongside me, and my criticizing mother. Sharply exhaling, I stepped over to behind the counter and my hand hovered over the phone. On the last ring, I picked up.

"Gemma is that you?" The confident voice, that belong to my mother, asked.

"Yeah mom, It's me." I spoke, in a clipped tone.

"Oh honey, I've been trying to reach you all night. Brian never pages me to you, anymore." Mom whined like a child. My description of her voice was completely accurate. She was the child in our twosome, and I was the adult. My mother used to be successful, we used to have a great life but see used to is a very strong term. It reminds you of the past and makes you upset about the present. Now my mother is jobless and I support both our homes and bills. We would be living under one roof, but I refuse to even be within a 10 mile radius of her, so that wouldn't exactly be ideal.

A bitter chuckle formed in my throat but I pressed my lips into a thin line to stop it. That's because he knows that all you do it criticize me. "Yah, um...we've been busy lately so he probably forgets. " I spoke quietly.

"Mmhmm, that's the excuse I get every time, but anyways," She sighed. "I just called to make sure that you took appetite suppressors I bought you."

I scoffed. Unlike my mother, I did not bear the genetics of a beautifully slim but curvaceous body.. That being said, I was healthy, happy and not even close to the overweight image that she perceived me as. I used to be an extremely chubby child. As I grew into a teenager, my chubbiness didn't exactly fade away so my mother forced me to go on ridiculous diets, meet with personal trainers a few times a week and take pills that had atrocious side effects. But no, that didn't matter to her, she just wanted the perfect skinny daughter, so she did everything in her power to make me like herself. Now, my 24 year old figure was at the perfect weight. I wasn't too chubby nor was I too skinny, but I had always struggled with my weight and even after knowing that, my mother just had to bring it up. Sure, I didn't have a model's body but I wasn't that bad either. "No, I didn't" I spoke, coldly.

She pointedly clipped her tone. "Listen my child, I only care...and I just want to make sure you're aware of your looks...Those pills were expensive."

A sudden anger surged through me, and I chose, despite my best judgement, to not hold back. "Yes, mother I know. You know how? Because you gave me the bill!" Tears lined my eyes, but I wouldn't let them fall out. This had become an everyday conversation for us, and I was used to it.

"Don't use that tone of voice with me." She warned.

I laughed bitterly, "What will you do? Ground me? FYI, I'm not twelve." 

"You sure act like it, I mean when was the last time you had a boyfriend or at the very least slept with a man. I'm pretty sure you're still a virgin." My mother pondered bitterly. Cue the second harsh comment of the day.

"Okay, first of all, how do you get from my weight to my love life? and Second, that is none of your god damn business. You should be thankful that your daughter isn't a slut like you-" I didn't get to complete my sentence before the phone was yanked out of my grip and placed on the rest. I hadn't realized how rapid my breathing was until now. I was panting like I had run a marathon. I turned around to be faced with emerald eyes that stared into my soul.

"Gemma, that wasn't what I meant by 'taking a break'" Brian spoke, concern filling his deep eyes.

I grimaced and blinked rapidly to dry the wetness around the rims of my eyes. "I'm sorry, you know how she is," I huffed, crossing my arms.

Brian ran a hand through his light brown hair and nodded. "Yes I do. You really need to set her in her place you know? Clearly calling her a slut isn't enough," He chuckled at the last part.

Brian's deep voice seemed to always have the best affect on my moods and I smiled. "Clearly,"

"Well," He sighed, looking at the clock. "You still have a good hour to your break, and I can take an early break as well. Want to grab coffee?" He asked, placing a hand on my arm.

I nodded and smiled gratefully, letting him lead me through the nurse's ward and to the cafeteria. We followed our regular routine, I went to go find a place to sit and Brian grabbed our favourite coffees. I chose a tiny booth near the large floor to ceiling windows and scanned the cafeteria. It was humongous to say the least. Patients lined the seats and a few nurses and doctors sat in their regular corner tables, probably taking a break from their hectic day. I sent a few smiles in their direction and they returned them gratefully.

Sighing, I looked out the window, but I wasn't focused on the gorgeous spring flowers outside, I was more focused on my reflection. I had dark brown, platinum highlighted, wavy hair that curled at the tips and rested a little below my shoulders. However, because of work, I had to keep them tied most of the time. My hazel eyes squinted as the sun shone in and my tan skin seemed lighter. I wasn't what you call "bad looking" or at least I would say so. I may not be like the gorgeous nice figured girls around, but I liked how I looked. I stood proudly at 5'4', had clear glowing skin, slightly curvy thighs and a flat stomach on some occasions, but it bulged a tad when I over ate. Other than that, I was alright.

Brian returned with two steaming cups of coffee. "Here you go, m'lady." He said as he placed my cup in front of me.

I laughed at his gesture and smiled. "Thank you, handsome."

Brian's smile turned into a full out grin. "You know you want this," He gestured towards himself and winked at me.

I sighed dramatically,"I have to admit that I do," but you just don't want me." Brian was downright stunning. He was light brown hair that fell into his bright emerald eyes and a body that girls would swoon over. The only problem that aroused was that Brian wasn't exactly into women, and he was completely open about it too, which is one of the reasons I loved him. He was so confident and never afraid to be himself. 

We met in high school and had been inseparable since. There were a lot of things to remember through high school, even though I was the quiet and socially awkward child, I had a lot of special and fun moments, and Brian was definitely one of them. He was a friend, a brother and sometimes acted like my dad, since I currently did not have one. But most importantly he was my one and only life line and kept me sane through the tornado that was, and still is, my life.