Chapter 6

Unbelievable! The nerve of him. I aided to him all night long and the minute I decide to sleep a wink, he decides to disobey my orders. I specifically told that pain the derriere not to leave, but the note that I held in my hands at six in the morning said otherwise;

Thanks for the help, pumpkin. I usually don't say thank you and mean it but you did save my life. I can't thank you enough and I am sorry for bringing you into my shit. I'll stay out of your hair from now on. Oh...and yes I am always this disobedient.

-Wyatt ;)

I read the note three more times before putting it down and slumping into the couch. I had to head to my shift at the hospital in an hour and knew that I would probably be late, but yet I didn't care. I was worried about Wyatt. Odd, I know. I had only truly met him two days ago, but it wasn't an affectionate or even a family kind of care and worry I felt towards him, it was one that a doctor or nurse (like myself) would feel for their patients. We have an obligation towards those who seek our aiding and we cannot let them down. Granted, I hadn't let Wyatt down, he escaped.

I sighed in defeat one last time before getting up off the couch and entering my bedroom to get dressed for my day at work and for some reason I just knew it would be an uninteresting one. I walked through the narrow doorway of my average sized room and picked up my clothes for the day and headed to the washroom. Within no time my body felt clean and I pulled on a fresh pair of scrubs for my day at work. Walking over to the washroom mirror, I skillfully put on a tad bit of eye liner and pulled my hair up into a high pony tail, before exiting the washroom. I quickly grabbed my purse and was out the door in no time.

The drive to work was one filled with mind boggling questions. I was one to over think...A LOT and that is exactly what I was doing. How did Wyatt know me? Why did I help him? What was going on with him? Why was he always injured? Was he really the bad boy everyone said he was? Did he really mean it when he said he wouldn't ask me for help anymore? Why wouldn't he explain anything to me? I deserved to know after all, right? But as much as I wanted answers I knew I wouldn't get any, only because I respected that he had his secrets, everyone did. I did too. And I knew that if someone asked me I would probably give them the silent treatment five time over.

My thoughts faded as I drove into the relatively empty hospital parking lot and got out of the car. I was greeted by the cool hospital air and a beaming Brian.

"Hey there, munchkin." Brian greeted, happily.

"Wow," I started, impressed. "Someone's in a good mood..." I trailed off, examining his figure of any signs of what could be adding to his fabulous mood.

"Really? What makes you say that?" Brain leaned in curiously, trying to fight the smile that was prying its self onto his face.

"Well first, you called me munchkin and I'm a year older than you..." Brian smirked. "And second, you're practically glowing. So do tell me what lightens your mood," I leaned on the counter and placed my face in my hands interestingly.

"A little birdy told me that my little Gemmy is being social! Oh, I couldn't be more proud!" Brian wrapped his arms around my waist and gave me a bear hug.

My eyebrows knit together in confusion as Brian set me down. "I'm sorry did you meet another Gemma or something? I am anything but social, I have not interacted with anybody new and nor will I ever. Who is this little birdy?"

Brian shrugged. "I took an extra shift yesterday and forgot it was your day off. When I asked Dr. Freeman where you were he said that he saw you near the gym with some guy..." Dr. Freeman was our head doctor, he was the sweetest man I had ever met and Brian and I were actually very close with him.

I shook my head and smiled, he must have seen me with Wyatt. Of course I knew this, the question was should I mention this to Brian or not? He would have my head for even glancing at Wyatt Evans, but he may be extra ecstatic that I was interacting with another organism.

"Uh...Oh that? I was just telling some guy to get out of my way, he was blocking the pedestrian lights. Pshtt, Brian? Me? Interact? Who do you think I am?" I tried to laugh of the situation but my chill attitude came across as a nervous laugh. Great. You want to know the sad part? Brian didn't even look convinced.

"I think you are the same girl who held in her pee during a four hour car ride because she didn't want to go into a McDonald's to ask if she could use the restroom. Gem, who are you trying to kid? You wouldn't ask a random stranger for anything so how do you expect me to believe your story? What gives?" Brian asked, letting his smile drop and crossing his arms.

"Alright, alright." I sighed, knowing that there was nothing I could say to excuse myself. "It was Wyatt Evans."

And that is when Brian turned into Satan.

************************

"So tell me again why you helped him." Brian pushed. He and I sat on a bench outside the hospital and this was probably my fifth time telling him a brief summary of my past two days.

"Really Brian? No!" I snapped. I had spoken enough.

Brian sighed and ran a hand through his light brown hair. "I'm just processing, Gem. It's hard to believe that you of all people helped Wyatt and he stole your first kiss as well."

Now that is something that slipped up, honestly I had forgotten about it until I reflected back to explain what had happened. It wasn't a big deal...Alright, it was a HUGE deal, but I wanted to play off as cool and collected. "Yah, details details." I brushed his remark off casually.

"Tell me that you're not filled with questions." He nudged, looking over at me with his amusement filled eyes.

"Of course I am Brian! It's not every day that the notorious bad boy, whom you've gone to school with but have never conversed with, shows up knowing you and asking you to help him for two days straight. I have a trillion questions but hey? I guess it just doesn't matter because....he's gone now and soon my questions and confusion will be gone as well." I ended proudly. I knew that my 'I don't give two biscuits' state wouldn't last long but it had been a long few days and I just needed to move on and forget. I had gotten my yearly dose of excitement.

"I don't know what to tell you, Gem. Maybe it was just a one-time thing. Wyatt's not really known for making rounds." He bumped my shoulders and gave me a comforting smile.

I shrugged and in a second I was completely convinced by Brian and suddenly all my questions had been answered. I shouldn't fret because it was probably just a onetime thing. How was I to know that I was oh so wrong?

(EDITED)