Part 22

It hurt. It hurt like hell. To see Wyatt so helpless and in pain lying on the ground in front of me was painful. I had seen him like this before, but now it hurt and it felt more personal. I didn't want to let the person who shot at him be let go like that, I wanted them to suffer for hurting him. Worst of all, I didn't know what to make of my feelings, but it wasn't the time or place.

"Wyatt, Wyatt please get up." I begged, sitting on the ground and pulling Wyatt's bed into my lap. 

Wyatt's eyes fluttered open and he squinted at me. "It hurts, Gemma." 

I inhaled sharply and my eyes teared up. "I know it does. I know, Wyatt." I bowed my head and let my tears escape. 

"Hey, hey, hey, Gemma? Don't cry. Come on, we gotta get out of here." Wyatt spoke, soothingly. For someone who just got shot, he was oddly calm. 

"Wyatt...." I started, sniffling and wiping my face. 

"Hmm?" He asked, as he stood up slowly. 

"How are you so calm?" I asked,  getting up as well and placing a hand on his lower back to support him. 

"One of us has to be." He smiled, but let his smile fade as he looked around. "We gotta go, Gemma. Now." 

Wyatt slipped his hands into mine and we made our best effort to run. Wyatt black shirt was wet from the back and I knew it was blood. "Call Grayson and Jake. Tell them to meet us where I told them to." 

I didn't want to argue or ask questions, so I just did as I was asked. Slipping Wyatt's phone out of my purse I continued to jog and dialed Grayson's number. 

"Hello-" He picked  

"Grayson!" I pleaded, through the phone. "Meet us where ever the hell Wyatt told you to meet us." 

Grayson didn't reply for a moment, but when he did, his tone was dark. "What happened, Gemma? Are you okay?" 

"Not really. Just please meet us, where ever-" I was panting now, because of the speed we were running at and thankfully Grayson cut me off to speak. 

"Behind the building at the intersection of Leeway and King Street. Jake and me are close by so hurry." And with that, Grayson's line clicked and I shoved the cell phone into my purse. 

Wyatt and I jogged lightly, with nothing to keep us company but each other's deep breaths. Which I was thankful for because a few minutes ago I thought Wyatt had died. Wyatt's eyes were fixed on something in front of us, but I didn't know what, he seemed very focused. He quickly looked both ways before crossing the street and dragged me along to the side of the tall building which Grayson had mentioned on the phone. 

At this point, I really didn't care where Wyatt was taking me, I was just thankful that he was alive and that I was with him. Wyatt and I entered a dark and dingy alleyway that smelt like dumpster, but we were safe, so it was okay. Wyatt and I leaned against the building and caught our breaths. I imagined it was more difficult for Wyatt because he was shot. 

I looked over at him and he bent over his knees trying to catch his breath. "Don't do that, Wyatt. It won't help your breathing." I spoke quietly. 

He looked up at me, his eyes were glistening, with tears or because of the smell, I wasn't sure. "It helps the pain." 

My heart melted at this. He was in so much pain, and in the end I didn't care if he returned the same feelings but I cared for him so much that it didn't feel good to see him in pain. "Here," I spoke and moved towards him. I picked out a disinfectant cloth from my purse and made Wyatt turn around.