CHAPTER 3

CHAPTER 3

"Quining, imprison her!" Mother demanded of our maid, who had been standing by behind the mother's back, waiting for her to be ordered.

As I sighed deeper, my shoulder sagged. No matter how hard I tried, I was always her biggest disappointment, even though I did the best I could and always obeyed her commands, all she could see were my mistakes. She regards me as a failure. Mother had always behaved in this manner. She would keep me locked in my room and never let me go outside.

Quining, mother's servant, lowered her head while making a fist with her right hand and placing it on her chest. "Yes, master!"

Quining went to my direction after saying those words, obeying my mother's command, and grabbed my wrist, forcing me to stand up. She could easily drag me because of my weight, which was as light as a piece of paper.

My knees were throbbing as I stood there with my wrist locked with Quining's hand, shaking almost as if it had suddenly turned to jelly. I sighed deeply as I struggled to get to my feet. I couldn't afford to fall because it would endanger my child inside my womb. I clenched my fist as tightly as I could, feeling my palm dripping with my own blood as my nails pierced deeply into my palm.

'It's a damn shame!' When I felt the strength in my legs slowly draining, I hissed and cursed. My arms were wrapped around my stomach, protecting it as I closed my eyes and waited for my body to collapse on the ground.

As my eyes closed, expecting me to fall, arms wrapped around my waist, preventing me from hitting the ground. I immediately opened my eyes and saw that it was Quining who had saved me and my child.

"T-Th...T-Thank you...T-Thank you..." I stuttered as I spoke in hushed tones.

Quining just nodded at me as she looked at her mother, who was staring them down with a death glare.

"Master, tonight is the start of the meeting with the Lakinstone. What should we do now that Miss Amarah is pregnant to a commoner's child?" Quining asked politely as she bowed her head.

When I heard what she said, I flinched. My face was covered in horror. How could I have forgotten such a dreadful meeting?! I had completely forgotten that my mother had already sent a notice to the Lakinstone, informing them that I, Amarah, had accepted Jeo Lakinstone's proposal. They have already scheduled a discussion about the marriage of the Lakinstone and Everleigh for tonight!

This is terrible... this is truly terrible! I can't afford to marry someone I don't love or whose future I can't see myself with! I'm not going to let this happen. If I were to marry the Lakinstone, I would undoubtedly be their marionette to control. A tool for them to use however they see fit. They don't see me as a person, but rather as a puppet! At this rate, I'm not going to be able to get out of this damn hell!

I raised my head, glancing at my mother. “M-Mother... m-maybe it's the best if y-you could c-cancel the e-engagement...”

Mother's eyes were fixed on me as she slapped my left cheek. "Are you attempting to bring the Everleigh into disrepute? You're marrying the heir of the Lakinstones no matter what!”

Seriously? How much longer are you going to slap my face?! I've had it with pretending to be your good daughter! If you want to marry the heir of the Lakinstone, then go on! Why do you have to force me to marry him?!

Do I really have to let them have control over me? How long do I have to put up with this kind of environment? I'm sick of their attitudes already! Why do I have to put up with this?

I wanted to respond to her, but I'm afraid it would derail my plan. Oh, wait... if I just think about ways to separate the Lakinstone and Everleigh and destroy their trust in each other, the marriage between me, Amarah Everleigh, and Jeo Lakinstone will be called off!