0.7

I groaned, waking up with a pounding headache. "Oh, thank the gods." I rubbed my head and turned to face Scaramouche. I glanced down, going bright red as I realised I was only in my bra and bike shorts. "I had to cool you down somehow." He crossed his arms defensively.

"What- worried about me or something?" He scoffed.

"Duh. I might need you sometime. Can't have my hostage dying." I sighed, laughing breathlessly. "I need to ask you something." I turned to face him fully, crossing my legs.

"Sure." He seemed almost awkward about asking.

"Can you... tell me about your family?" I flinched, holding my knees to my chest.

"What do you mean?" He stared up at the canopy of palm trees past the Anemo barrier he'd created.

"You said something about your mothers- that they were angry." I hugged my elbows.

"Well, it's fairly simple. My mothers loved Snezhnaya, I hated it, I left, they got mad." He furrowed his brows.

"Why do you hate it? And why would they be so mad about that?" I blushed wildly.

"Gah... Alexandra, my mother, is very... opinionated. When she married my birth mother, Eva, I argued with her all the time. I uh... I argue with my family a lot. I'm pretty stubborn." Scaramouche looked as if he was about to speak so I continued quickly. "I got into a big fight with all of them and left in the middle of the night. I guess Murata must've seen me as a passionate soul so she granted me my vision the day I arrived in Sumeru." He nodded thoughtfully. "And I hate Snezhnaya because... Well. The Fatui." I bit my lip.

"Why are you- I betrayed the Fatui. You're not in trouble." I sighed in relief. "Are you that afraid of me?" I scoffed, flicking his hat.

"No, I just don't want to- nevermind." I don't want to disappoint you. He scowled, crossing his arms. "Either way. Are you ready to continue?" He frowned.

"You had heatstroke, Y/n. You were in a coma for three days." I froze.

"What the fuck?" He nodded.

"I know. I'm not putting your bindings back on until you're fully recovered. I mean, actually look at yourself- you're completely sunburnt and still sweating like crazy." I wrinkled my nose.

"Can't you... I dunno, just trust me? I'm not planning on running." His eyes hardened.

"No. I have a better solution."

–➶–

"For the record, this is not better." I sighed, leaning on air. He used his Anemo to create a force field of strong wind around me, I hovered above the ground in a globe of hurricane.

"It works for me. You can stop complaining. Remember, I still have the gag." I shoved my arm out of the bubble and grabbed his hat, throwing it like a frisbee across the sand. Scaramouche glared at me, sending me higher into the air. "Cut it out, Y/n." I yelped, eyes widening.

"Gah! Stop! Scared of heights! Ah!" He smirked, sending it higher. "I'M SERIOUS." He rolled his eyes, lowering it ever so slightly. He noticed my trembling and stopped, fully lowering the bubble.

"I'll remember that. Come on." I sighed, leaning back. "Can I talk to you about something?" I shrugged.

"Sure."

"I'm sorry." I stared at him in confusion. "I hurt you badly when I first met you. Back in Aaru Village. Before that, I harmed the people of Sumeru." I was in shock.

"I've never heard you apologise for anything before." He chuckled.

"Don't get used to it." I smirked.

"Aaaand he's back." We walked in silence for a little longer. "Hey Scara?" He narrowed his eyes.

"What is it? And why are you calling me that?" I giggled.

"I'm calling you that because Scaramouche sounds pompous and it's a mouthful. And I just wanted you to know, I get why you took the Gnosis." He tilted his head.

"Why is that?"

"Well, you said you were a prototype puppet, right?" He nodded. "Your sole purpose upon creation was to look after hers, so of course you felt the instinctual desire to have it." He nodded again thoughtfully.

"That... makes sense." I rushed to finish my statement at his crestfallen expression.

"But that doesn't mean it has to be like that forever! You can be whatever you want." I saw a flicker of a genuine smile on his face.

"That means a lot." Scaramouche glanced at the setting sun. "Let's set up here." I yelped as he dropped me on my butt.

"Dude!" He snickered as I brushed myself off. "I'll look for some flint then?" He shook his head and threw the ruby-coloured gemstone back at me.

"Just use that." I grinned.

"Oh gods, I've missed this." I clenched my fist around it, pointed it at the pile of sticks he'd haphazardly put together and promptly set it on fire. "I've had to move Darshans at least twice because of the 'No Arson' policies." From the look on Scara's face it seemed that he had many regrets.
"I suppose the study of elements could use Pyro at some point or another." I nodded. "Well, avoid setting us on fire." I shrugged.

"We'll see." He snorted, chucking a few more twigs into the flame. "Can I set something else on fire yet?" He glanced at me with genuine concern. "Kidding!" I elbowed him in the ribs. He sat beside me with a sigh. "It's my turn to ask a question." He narrowed his eyes and shook his head. "You asked about my family, I just want to know where you're planning on going." The Balladeer shrugged.

"I don't know." I huffed in irritation. "I don't. I just need to find somewhere I can be alone. Hopefully you'll come visit." I felt my cheeks heat up and I turned away.
"Uh- Yeah. That'd be nice." I yawned, stretching my arms behind my back. "Why are you keeping me around now then? And why as a hostage?" He sighed, holding his head.

"Originally, to kill you and freak out the Matra. But now..." I glanced up at him. "I think we could just fake a hostage situation. Negotiation, etcetera. Are you a good actor?" I shrugged.

"Possibly?" He wrinkled his nose. "I guess we'll find out. But hey, can you show me your map?" He dug through his bag for a moment before pulling out some rolled up parchment. I pointed at a corner of the Sumeru desert. "That's the Valley of Dahri. Not many people go that way." He nodded thoughtfully.

"Good idea. We'll be there in a day, and then I can release you." I bit my lip.

"Uh- yeah. Cool."