CHAPTER 2

SILVER EYES

"You set a precedent about choosing yourself and that's going to stay with you for the rest of your life." -Rainbow Johnson

AASHNI OBEROI

I loathed the smell of spearmint. It was gross and smelled artificial. As the horrid scent assaulted my nostrils, I longed for a scented candle or even some Febreeze.

The urge to throw up overwhelmed me as I took in my surroundings. My eyes were a bit crusty and there was a terrible circus stomping around in my head but my memory did not fail me despite the lingering effects of the alcohol.

The monster.

It all came back to me. The beast that tried killing me but clearly failed. Now, I was stuck in some old cabin that was absolutely dripping in the scent of spearmint. A piece of my black hair fell forward and obscured my vision. I raised my hand to move it out of the way, only to find that my hands were tied behind my back and my legs were tied to the wooden chair. The rope burned against my skin. Whoever had taken me had figured out I was a werewolf and had wolfsbane on hand.

Oh my goddess I've been kidnapped by an actual beast.

My white blouse stuck to my skin largely due to the humidity in this stupid cabin and also because I had been kidnapped and was sweating buckets.

The cabin was not going to be listed on Airbnb anytime soon. There was dust coating the outdated furniture and the TV looked so old I doubted it operated anymore. By the level of dust in this cabin, it looked like nothing had been touched in years.

"Hello?"

I hoped for a response, even having a captor here sounded better than rotting out here to die alone, even if said captor was a huge monster-like creature with scary-looking teeth and pretty eyes.

Immediately, I realized my mistake. It would be better to not alert my captor because what if they wanted to torture me? My pain tolerance was negative, I doubted I'd last very long.

Regret filled me as I remembered the way I had fallen off the grid. My brothers knew I was on a vacation but I never told them where my destination was. Everyone will assume I'm in the Caribbean or something and never search for me in bumfuck nowhere Washington. I was going to die out here and even if I escaped how would I get back to my cabin?

Hah, escape.

I was a werewolf, a strong one at that, but I was no match for that beast. He'd have me ripped to shreds before I even made it out the door.

Rani?

Aashni? What happened? I was blocked out when you were getting shitfaced.

I'm sorry. We've been...kidnapped.

WHAT?

I know. I'm sorry, I should have been more careful. Is it possible to mind-link Taaran or Rivan?

No, you are too far away from your brothers and your pack to mind-link them right now.

Damn it. I would just have to figure this out myself then. I wiggled my arms and though the burn became more intense, I knew that if I continued, I could probably slip the rope off.

I bit down on my lip as the pain became worse but I didn't stop, if I did, I wouldn't have the courage to subject myself to this pain again. It took a lot to keep biting down and silencing any sounds of displeasure but I couldn't risk my captor realizing I was awake. Finally, by the grace of the goddess, I was free. My wrists were puffy and welted but at least I had some mobility. Quickly, I began to untie the rope binding my ankles to the chair. Clearly, the beast was unable to tie knots properly because it barely took any time at all. Yet again, his hands were the size of watermelons so I doubt they allowed for much precision.

Creak.

I froze. The ropes were still hanging off of my ankles but they did not restrict me.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

If I ran, he'd catch me. My wolf senses weren't 100% yet, thank you, moonshine, but I knew from the distance that he must be nearby.

Thump. Thump.

The beast was so huge that his footsteps could be heard by a deaf person. I bet if he ran, the house would begin to shake.

Goddess, this is not how I wanted to die.

As he got closer, the smell of mint reached my nostrils again and I almost gagged. What type of scent was that? It was deplorable.

The first things I noticed were his feet. They were huge and he was indeed not wearing any boots. His skin was a tannish brown but mine was still a shade darker. His legs were muscular and hairy but he had the decency to put on some briefs, even if they didn't cover much and I could basically make out everything.

His stomach looked like it had been carved by the Greeks. I counted eight abs but perhaps I was still a bit tipsy because how do you even get an eight pack? His breasts, pecs whatever, were huge and made me a little self-conscious, were they bigger than mine? I quickly concluded that this man must live at the gym which made him a psychopath and it was okay for him to have bigger boobs than me because at least I did not subject myself to torture. His arms were covered in tattoos but none of them had any color. Even though he was a bit far away from me, I could make out the veins bulging from his forearms as his hands formed fists.

His neck was thick and his face was full of stubble. Just as I began to open my mouth and tell him that I had been attacked by a beast and then kidnapped by that beast, I met his eyes.

His eyes were narrowed as they stared at me and surrounded by eyelashes that were thicker and longer than mine (not easy to accomplish). They looked angry and confused but that's not what stood out to me.

They were silver, sterling silver.

Just like the beast's.