CHAPTER 22

PAST ENCOUNTERS

"And when we die, I'll hunt her down in the afterlife and figure out a way to brand her soul." -Scarred

AASHNI OBEROI

Past

My mom looked beautiful. She always did but there was something about this moment that made her seem ethereal to ten-year-old me.

"I love it, Chandra."

My dad smiled the smile he only gave my mom.

"It is not easy finding a gift for the woman who claims she has everything."

"Well, it's true. I have you and our kids. What else do I need?"

"More kids?"

"We said we'd stop at three."

"I know, jaan," my dad whispered. 

My siblings and I were standing right there but they only had eyes for each other. Taaran was tinkering with the telescope in the observatory my dad had built for my mom's birthday, while Rivan stared at everything with his usual scowl. And me? I was staring at my parents with awe realizing that this is what love is.

I never would have guessed how it would all fall apart.

This was not happening

This was not happening. This was NOT happening. Out of all the ways I'd imagined this night to go, this was not one of them. I was supposed to dance with a few guys, have a couple of drinks, and spend time with Nova. Instead, I was staring across the room into silver eyes that belonged to my mate.

My mate.

Maybe if this had happened before my father's affair, I would feel differently. As it was now, I had no intentions of being someone's mate, especially to the man who had lied to me about who he was. Raiden wasn't some man who lived in the woods and avoided civilization. No, my caveman was a king. His family had led werewolves since the very beginning and even his departure from civilization was not enough to make him appear anything less than a king.

I wanted to run away and go back to Manhattan. He was a king, right? He'd be too busy with his duties to come to hunt me down.

Another part of me wanted to walk across the room and slap him in the face for hiding his scent from me all this time. He did, in fact, not smell like spearmint. No, he smelled like power, like royalty, like dominance. If I was correct then the scent was sandalwood and goddess, it made me want to dig my canines into his neck.

Mate. Mark mate.

No, Rani. No.

The good thing to come from all this was my wolf. It felt like she was back for good and I was glad to hear from her again. The last time she had said anything was at Raiden's.