Chapter 2

"Hi Dad."

Domenico King stared at me and I stared back. It felt surreal. I had planned for this moment since I was informed that creepy Cole had agreed to take me and it was finally here.

"You do look like Lia." Domenico King said and his voice held wonder.

"I look like you too." I awkwardly replied.

"Yeah you do." It was shaky filled with millions of emotions that I couldn't grasp. My father looked happy to see me or that what it looked to me. Well, he looked like he wanted to hug me but was holding back which I appreciated.

Sure in my dream reunion with my dad, we would hug and cry and dance around rainbow and all. Right now, though, I was on a mission.

"I want to stay with you." Fuck! That was supposed to come out as a question.  Never I was this irritated about having a faulty brain-to-mouth filter like I was today.

My father blinked but didn't say a word.
Not a good sign.

"Mom is dead and I live with cre...Cole and he is in hospital and I don't want to be in some foster home and my social worker is stupid bit...woman and I am sixteen so for two years can I stay with you?" I babbled in one breath and then mentally cursed myself. Doubt Domenico King understood me. Taking a breath I decided to present my case again and properly when he interrupted me.

"You can stay here."

I felt sudden tears in my eyes and had to blink in order to hold them back lest I started to sob and weird him out. Domenico King told me I could live with him, right? My ears were working, right?

"Can you repeat that?" I asked fearful, anxious not wanting to extinguish the burning hope inside me lest I heard wrong or imagined it.

"You can stay here. I will handle your social worker." Domenico King uttered the sentences I so desperately had wished for him to say. "We will do a DNA test if you don't mind? Not that I don't believe you but..."

"I don't mind." I answered. I was hundred percent sure I was his daughter.

"Then, it's settled. You will stay with me." Domenico King said and the power and authority in his voice made it sound so certain.

"Thank you." I said grateful feeling a tear slide down my cheek despite my control. The man didn't know how much favor he had granted me. He was giving me freedom from Cole. If not that I would have looked more crazy, I would have jumped up and down in joy right now. Though I did mentally skipped in happiness and relief. This was what I wanted and I got it.

"Can I hug you?" Domenico King asked. It was blurted as if he couldn't stop himself one more second.

I didn't verbally answered him but instead stepped forward wrapping my arms around his waist. He was so tall that I only came upto his chest. My father returned the hug immediately. His arms were huge and they completely covered me. He was warm.

In all the planning and running away, I had forgotten how much meeting my father had once meant for me. How much I had longed for this hug since I was a kid and had watched others with their father.

The hollow part of my heart that had always yearned for my father was looking forward to be complete.

Also, I was giddy with relief. He was letting me stay.

*****

Domenico King didn't waste time. After our reunion (and my victory) hug which lasted for a minute, Dad and I sat on the soft and comfortable couch and I gave him details, including a vague and false description of the incident with Cole. It was the same one I had given to the police and social worker and wasn't questioned much. A long story that I wished to forget.