6. Mamori Tai pt1

(Non-canon, science fiction!AU, I-Isalnd spoilers, angst with later comfort)

It had been many years since Bakugou Katsuki had stepped foot on I-Island.

The air was still the cleanest to ever grace his lungs; each inhale awakening a forlorn acquaintance for the foggy streets of Musutafu. The sky was brighter too, with the sun reflecting off of every pane of glass and contraption.

The first time here, he'd been enraptured by the competitiveness that kept the island alive. Scientists were constantly pitted against one another to produce fail-safe inventions, and heroes would gather to show off their skillset. He remembered the hill race, how Deku had beaten him by a split second and the scorn that twisted his nerves.

He remembered how excited his classmates had been, some never having travelled out of the country before. How Kirishima had been stuck to the window pane as their plane traversed clear, open waters and how that annoying grape had tried to rizz up the cabin crew. (Later dealt with by being tied up and shoved into the luggage compartment. Whenever there was turbulence a wicked grin would spread across the younger twin's face at the the muffled whines overhead.)

He remembered how M/n had ensured they made it to the airport three hours before departure, tapping his foot in anticipation and constantly checking the screens for their gate. How he'd kept ahold of everyone's passports, in denial no-one could keep their belongings safe.

How he'd eye the sick bag tucked into the seat, never having travelled this far before. How when they landed, he made sure to lather everyone in sunscreen, banging on about heat stroke and hydration, carrying everyone's rucksacks in his arms and dragging Kaminari around the scruff of the neck before he could run off and bother the local girls.

How that idiot he called a brother had stumbled on his words in-front of the scientist's daughter. How after an excruciating battle, he still managed to check up on everyone; cradling people to his chest and installing tried-and-tested breathing techniques into their frazzled psyches.

How on the flight home, his hand never left Katsuki's, no matter how sweaty it was, Katsuki endured the strained comfort to let his brother know he was safe, and they were going home.

"Next holiday, we'll go somewhere quiet, yeah?" M/n had joked, staring out the window as the rest of the class dozed off in their seats.

Katsuki wished he'd asked more about where he wanted to explore. What exciting adventures his big brother had in mind.

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

After settling his bags into the hotel room, Katsuki made his way to the big event, the reason he was brought here. Upon arrival at the swanky lecture theatre, nestled in palm trees and high security, a shrill voice greeted him.

"Bakugou?! Oh my goodness!" Melissa Shield couldn't contain her ecstatics as she watched the gruff boy wince at his name being called and making his way over to her with a scowl.

He was older now, a little taller and his hair more unruly, but he was still the same Bakugou.

"Hey, stupid girl." He greeted her. It was a silly nickname formed over their brief interactions and international emails, because she was far from stupid and they both knew it. He briefly wrapped her in a one armed hug, and he could feel her sigh into his shoulder.

He knew Melissa had liked his brother, a lot. He'd carried her bridal-style up hundreds of steps so her feet wouldn't grow sore, he'd complimented her pretty dress and after the big fight had rushed to comfort her. After seeing her father tossed about and broken by a villain, his arms were the perfect safety blanket.

She understood why his friends relied on him so much.

She had been sad to see the Bakugou brothers leave her beloved island. One calm, the other ferocious. Balanced in odd ways, butting heads in meaner ways. But she admired them, and a small part of her brain was jealous. Maybe it was being an only child, maybe it was seeing the way M/n looked at Katsuki in the most caring way.

"I'm glad you made it," she pulled back with a smile of lingering brightness, blinding her guest, "this year's exhibition will blow you away!"

"Hah!" He scoffed as she took his arm, the two walking past the doors to the large theatre room, hundreds of people already seated, "Doubt it." He settled in his seat in the middle row.

Melissa smiled to her shoes, smirking at his stubbornness. 

He really hadn't changed.

"Well," she straightened up, "Wish me luck! There's so many potential investors here, I can't afford to mess up."

"You'll do great," he waved her away, "smartest idiot I know. Break a leg." 

With that she nodded and made her way backstage, the lights dimming.

As Katsuki settled into the plush seat, his eyes couldn't help but linger on the empty seat beside him marked as reserved.

He knew that spot would remain empty, he even barked at an old lady who wished to take the seat.

The sound system crackled to life, pouring out into the space and filling everyone's ears: "Please welcome Melissa Shield, presenting her limitless healthcare proposal, Project Aniki."

A lump settled and constricted his throat, his limbs turned to cement.

What the hell was this?

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

Melissa walked onto the stage, a spotlight enhancing her confident stature. She spoke into the microphone attached to her cheek.

"Gazing around the auditorium, I see a lot of people that need protecting. You may be strong, capable heroes, thrashing villains and saving the day, taking care of everyone you can out there.

But who takes care of you? When you get home, who's there to ask how your day was, to check up on you, and who's there to provide the ultimate comfort? To give medical reassurance and therapeutic guidance?"

She produced a remote from her pocket and subtly clicked a command.

The audience went quiet as mechanic whirring came to life, metallic footsteps eclipsing the stage as a being stood beside her, two heads taller, which she looked upon fondly.

"I'd like to introduce my healthcare provider prototype: Aniki. Constructed with steadfast learning equipment and membrane bots to track the nervous system. He provides interstellar communication functions, such as words of affirmation and integral heart-race tracking.

I believe, with full force, he is what the world needs. A bit of comfort in these unsure times.

Thank you for joining me on this endeavour today, I hope your interest and investment allows Aniki to be stationed world wide, providing exclusive healthcare to our heroes and veterans. Thank you."

She left the stage, cheers and applause following her, waving her hand and bowing with a smile.

The thing that followed her made Katsuki want to vomit, his airways twisted like burned wire.

It looked... just like him. Him.

It wasn't fair to be introduced in such a disconnected way.