7. Mamori Tai pt.2

Hastily shoving his belongings into his bag, Katsuki huffed as he made his way from the hotel back to the airport. He'd promised to stay the full week. Now he never wanted to come again, wishing he could leave this place a burning pyre of smoke.

"Bakugou!" He tensed up at the call but continued forward across the vast park, "Where are you going?!" Melissa cried, ripping off the microphone and racing after him. "Hey, wait!"

He whirled upon her as she panted, a deadly glare in his eyes. "You can't just up and leave!" She puffed, red in the face.

"Watch me." He shoved her away, only to be pulled back. He growled and dumped his bag to the floor in a heavy clump. A half empty bottle of sun spray rolling in-between them.

"What the hell was that, stupid girl?" The nickname wasn't endearing anymore. He practically spat out the syllables. "You stab me in the back and expect me to congratulate you? Go out to dinner with you and celebrate?"

"I know you're angry..." she held out her hand, wanting to reassure him. She knew an angry Katsuki was a cruel one, she could take his words.

"You have no idea how I feel!" He roared, sending her flinching back and retracting her hand. "What you've made- that thing! It's disgusting!"

"No, it isn't." She furrowed her brows, "How could you say that? He's your-"

"No it's not! Don't you dare compare that scrap of junk to him! Don't you dare." His breathing was staggered, shoulders going up and down as he willed his breaths too steady. He didn't want to let her see him cry.

"Maybe I should've asked for your consent, and I'm sorry I didn't." She fiddled with her fingers, "But I thought it'd make you happy, Bakugou. I built him for you, mainly." She looked into his scorching eyes. "I know how much you miss him."

"Shut up."

"And I know you're hurt, he's that missing part of you. His public image, his rights, they were signed over, leased to the association. I asked to make this for him, in his honour, I never did it to hurt you, Bakugou."

"You've dirtied him, brought shame, that's what you've done." Katsuki barked, a familiar sting in his eyes. He never wanted to fight with his friends, but he'd known now for a long time that's what he'd been doing. Pushing people away. "Made his 'image' some, pale imitation of someone who was real. It isn't fair what you've done in the slightest."

"He's real to me." Melissa cried, fist tight with tenacious intent. "Years ago, when he helped me I found out what a hero was. That boy saved my life. It's what he loved to do, we all saw it, so why can't he continue making others happy?"

"He's not a product." Katsuki sniffed, picking up his bag and slinging it on his slumped shoulder. "He was my brother."

He turned to the airport, the clouds becoming gloomy and dark. The magic of I-Island seeping away the farther he grew in the distance.

"I'm sorry, Katsuki. I really am." Melissa allowed the tears to bubble in her eyes, gripping the fabric over her chest and twisting the knife of guilt mercilessly into herself, "I just wanted him to be here."

"Well, he's not. Don't ever contact me again." He lifted his head as the doors slid open, his eyes swirling with unmistakable pain, "And if that thing gets out there, I'll destroy every last one. I don't care how long you spent on it. My brother ain't a summer project."

He took the next flight home, never even looking out the window as Melissa walked away, taking the hand of her masterpiece.

"Is everything alright, Miss Shield?" A robotic voice chirped, making her hand curl further into his. The robot tilted its head, looking at her with concerned optics.

"Yes, M/n. Take me home, please." She leant against the cold sheen of his chest plate, wishing there was a beating heart beneath to soothe her aching mind.

"Of course, Miss Shield. Let's go home." The robot then attempted to comfort her, as he was programmed to do. "Will you miss your friend?"

She was silent, tears splattering against his chest.

"I think if you could, you'd miss him more than anyone." she whispered.

Unable to unpack the cryptic response, not understanding why the rude boy should be anyone to care about, the robot continued rubbing circles into her shoulder as he guided her away from the grief.